-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Large File Transfer Problems
--The external drive is likely FAT32, which you can verify by doing ' fdisk -l ' as root. Files >2GB are not supported on Fat32 by linux (I've run into the same problem.) Which means I don't store my files on Fat32 or (God forbid!) NTFS unless I absolutely have to.
Your best bet may be reformatting the external drive as ext2, and using a Windows e2fs driver after copying the files.
http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html
To reformat the external drive: You should move any essential data off it 1st, otherwise it will be gone.
o ' fdisk /dev/sda ' == Assuming your USB drive is sda; and hit Enter after each command:
' p ' == Print partition layout
' t ' == Change partition type...
' 1 ' == ...of 1st partition, or whichever one it's using
' L ' == List types available (educational)
' 83 ' == Change to Linux
' w ' == Write to disk and quit
o Now to format it:
' mke2fs -m0 -v /dev/sda1 '
o Then you can mount it and copy the files:
' mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 -onoatime,rw '
' time cp -apRv /mnt/hda1/* /mnt/sda1 ' == Assuming your Win files live on hda1 and it's already mounted
--From there, you can reboot, reinstall Windows and then install the ext2 driver from the link above, and hopefully it will detect your USB drive. 

Originally Posted by
Casshern
Hello,
I have a computer that crashed a couple days ago. Windows XP is not bootable (what a surprise) but I have about 30 gigs of data that needs to be backed up. I can get about 15 of it. The other 15 is files that are 7.5 gigs a piece. I am trying to transfer them to my external drive via usb but the process "unexpectedly dies" after it transfers 2 gigs. I have tried about 5-7 times now. Each one dies at the same point. I was wondering if there was a file transfer size limit in Knoppix.
Thanks,
Casshern
Similar Threads
-
By unckybob in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-23-2006, 04:50 PM
-
By bonkas in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-20-2005, 11:07 AM
-
By astump in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-19-2005, 01:34 AM
-
By Level7 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-14-2004, 02:34 PM
-
By igor_m in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-26-2003, 05:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage
$79.99

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap
$749.99

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL
$169.00

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00