OK. Given that you have already determined that there is a problem installing Knoppix, at least give this a try.Originally Posted by ecop77
I have been running knoppix from cd on an old Compaq laptop without any trouble. However, when I try to install to HDD, I've encountered two different situations that have stopped the install process. In the first scenario, I follow the diecrtions, and the system hangs whiel formatting hda1. In the second scenario, the system didn't hang in formatting, started to copy files, and then it hung. System info: COmpaq 1230, 100MB RAM, 4GB HD
Any help would be appreciated.
OK. Given that you have already determined that there is a problem installing Knoppix, at least give this a try.Originally Posted by ecop77
debian is a bit hard for someone new to linux... however ubuntu is derived from debian distro, and is kinda like knoppix in that case...
but how ever, its up to you in the end to try the distro you want...
The reason I want to use knoppix is that it already recognizes my Microsoft (Yeah, I know!!!) wireless network card. Everything I read about configuring the damned thing makes me want to use an OS that already sees it. Any suggestions on what's hanging up the install, and how to get around it?

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM
$289.99
HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99
POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS
$179.85
Supermicro E200-8D Xeon D-1528 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 2x10GbE X10SDV-6C-TLN4F w/ PSU
$525.00
HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC
$750.00
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$400.00
Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00
1U Supermicro Firewall Router Jumpbox 6x 10GB Ethernet 3.5Ghz 32GB RAM 2x PSU X
$299.00
Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00