Mine says the samething except it doesnt have MSI infront. I use a router which shares a cable connection.
wait a sec.. i was right from the 1st post.. my ADSL modem is a B-FoCus Multiport 342+ and my network intergrated controller (NIC) is a Broadcom 440x 1/100
![]()
Mine says the samething except it doesnt have MSI infront. I use a router which shares a cable connection.
I'm not questioning this at all; other than you keep calling it a 1/100 NIC rather than a 10/100 card. It was jacksonon who called the Broadcom 440x a modem, and I questioned his statement. I haven't done any research at all on the B-FoCus Multiport 342, but the fact that you see an ip address in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range confirms for me that it has a built in router (and the word multiport in the name is another big clue). I have no idea why DHCP seems to be failing, but in the one case where I did see DHCP fail with a router I was able to manually do the settings with netcardconfig and get the connection working. I don't know what is happening when you do this. Give us some feedback on exactly what setting you are entering and what error messages you get if you want and expect us to be able to give you feedback. I would also want to know if you can ping the router after the netcardconfig, and if you can ping other computers on the local network, and if you can ping the Knoppix IP address that you assigned from other local computers. And if nothing works I would suggest running ethereal and telling us what it captures during a netcardconfig with DHCP and also without.Originally Posted by Override
im sorry about the modem confusion, its a 10/100 network card.
what do u mean when u say what setting i enter? i just ran the netcardconfig and it failed the DHCP, i never did try to setup anything..Originally Posted by Harry
![]()
When you run netcardconfig there is a question about DHCP. If you answer in the affirmative it will try to do a DHCP configuration, which in your case seems to be failing. If instead you push the button that answers in the negative it will ask a set of setup questions like what IP address you wish to use, mask, broadcast address, DNS server and so on. I would suggest recording all of this information from that system when running Windows and then try going into Knoppix and using netcardconfig to set these values manually. It is a bit of a pain, but if it works you will be on the Internet and it will confirm that everything else is working fine and that the problem is that for some strange reason Knoppix and your router don't DHCP together properly (if it fails then the problem could be somewhere else, but we're not likely to find that until we make this determination).Originally Posted by Override
I have seen DHCP handshake failure with one old Belkin router. I never did determine the exact cause, my fix was simply to use a different router that would handshake properly (although the manual netcardconfig worked too). Unfortunately, with the router built into the ADSL modem, using an alternate router may be more of a problem for you (unless there is a feature to disable the internal router. There very well may be, some router/modem combos have them, it's a very desirable feature that allows you to add a router with more features, such as wireless access).
omg it works!!!!!!!!!!!! i tried it manually by doing the net card config without the DHCP broadcast and it works!!! thank harry kuhman!!!!!!!!!!!!![]()
![]()
That confirms that it's an issue with the way the router does DHCP. You might waht to contact the router maker and see what they know (Belkin was just ignorant and flatly stated that they only support Windows). You might even find that a new firmware update addresses the DHCP problem for you. And do look to see if you can disable the router and add an external router (don't stack routers), routers have become very cheap.Originally Posted by Override

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03
$15.00
Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99
Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00