rickenbacherus, you are American?
Exactly. The first step however is remaining invisible or at least as invisible as you can. Likely you will want to run some service or another and must show a port as closed but for any ports you're not using stealth is the way to go man.Originally Posted by Tortoise
Secondly- you need to keep them out- step in ipchains (old firewalling) or iptables (new firewalling). I use ipchains because 1)They work. 2) I understand them better than iptables. 3)My router distro is incapale of using iptables. (Although I have been looking very hard at LEAF lately which is based on 2.4 kernel and iptables).
As I posted above- I would really love to see some scans on your average home users router. Not just a quickie "most common" ports scan either- the full enchilada- all 65535 ports. Not to brag that "my router can beat up yours" but to have a genuine basis on which to make a decision.
Argument#1- "My router has a nice GUI I use through my web browser- it's so cool!" Yeah and it's another port open too. I use ssh- it's secure, it requires a password AND a key signature. I also have an easy to use menu.
Argument#2- "My router is small, cute and fuzzy.." Yeah they are but if you're handy you could make a pc smaller AND you can get one for free.
Argument#3- "My router uses almost no electricity-my electricity company loves me." Same here- no CPU fan, no case fan, no fans at all- I've even modified the power supply- it doesn't have a fan either. Of course I wouldn't recommend trying that unless you know what you're doing.
Besides- if you were really that energy conscience you'd shut off your air conditioning and go soalr.
There are 65535 ports that can be opened. Therefore we must conclude that there are 65535 ports that can be scanned, probed and penetrated. That doesn't sound very pleasant does it? All of those freeware wimpdoze apps that everyone seems to love so they can swap music files open their own port- yeah that's right, they open their own port! There is nothing on my system that is even capable of doing that- If I don't open the port it doesn't get opened-period.
rickenbacherus, you are American?
Indeed- check the sig.

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends
$149.00
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$594.99
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93
Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
4x Various Brands 8.5" Mainframe 9-Track Reel Computer Data Tape 6250 CPI .5"
$24.99
Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981
$199.99
Vintage UNIVAC Mainframe Circuit Board Lamp - Cyberpunk Tech Geek Industrial Art
$225.00
Vintage IBM Syst 370 MST Boards Lot Of 5 Heavily Populated IBM 22 Alu Can Chips
$89.00
MCSI IND-486DX Industrial ISA SBC PC/104 Motherboard NOS Untested No CPU RAM
$189.99
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30