Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix for 64 bit computers.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    18

    Knoppix for 64 bit computers.

    Hi,
    Will Knoppix 4 is designed for 32 bit pcs only or will it runs on 64bit ones too such as an AMD .
    Or is there separate versions for both??

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    ku637,

    First of all, I used to run Knoppix, but, am now running Kanotix. (which is an "off-shoot" of Knoppix)

    I have a AMD64 system, it was purchased when I realized that Kanotix had a 64bit OS version, this was way back at the beginning of 2005. Kanotix, has since, not progressed the releases of the 64bit OS version, but, rather, continued releasing updates to the 32bit versions. At current, Kanotix is at release 2005-04 rc19, and plans, as it appears, yet one more release, in less than a gew weeks, one last update for this year - 2005-04 rc20.

    I have both a 32bit AMD and a 64bit AMD system, one is running on Kanotix (very early OS version), and the 64bit AMD is -currently- running at 2005-04 rc17 (32bit version OS)

    The AMD64, from what I have heard, is a 32bit processor, with "extensions" added to it, to make it a 64bit processor. It will run 32bit as well as 64bit. Kanotix 2005-04 RC17 is a 32bit OS, (Linux), and it is running perfectly fine on my AMD64, with out a hitch.

    Also, from what I hear, OpenOffice, xine, kaffeine, gimp, etc... run better on a 32bit OS, than they do on a 64bit, even if the processor is a 64bit one. Not sure if Knoppix is going to fly the same as Kanotix, here, but, my guess is, having a 64bit processor is nice, but, "I" feel like, I spent more money than "I" needed to, and not much is going to be done for it -=- Thank GOD is can also be a 32bit !

    I have not "noticed" any ill-effects of running a 32bit OS with a 64bit processor.

    Again, I am not "in" with the crowd that "develops", so, I cant speak for "where Knoppix", or for that matter, "where Kanotix", "is going" - but, IMHO, my guess is, 32bit is around to stay, and 64bit, if you have it, is just a "pricey" luxury... at the moment.

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    Except the next release of Microsoft's Windows OS will be 64 bit enabled out of the box and many computers are shipping from the factory with 64 bit CPUs in them. As soon as Vista comes out, 64 bit will EXPLODE. It's in pre-big-bang stages right now, but expect to see a lot of development in the x64 arena very soon. I'm an early adopter, and I'm glad I'm running the right hardware for the future.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    14

    Knoppix64

    64 bit version of Knoppix is on its way http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Debootst..._x86-64_LiveCD

Similar Threads

  1. connecting 2 knoppix computers with crossover
    By wannessmet in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 07:05 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2006, 06:36 PM
  3. Knoppix on networked public school computers?
    By ryancw in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 04:25 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 09:04 PM
  5. problem with ddcxinfo-knoppix on old computers
    By Joakim Nordberg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 10:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore 64C C64 ASSY 250469 Rev A with Original Integrated Circuits – Tested picture

Commodore 64C C64 ASSY 250469 Rev A with Original Integrated Circuits – Tested

$175.00



 Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128  picture

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128

$79.99



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore SX-64 Personal Computer picture

Commodore SX-64 Personal Computer

$600.00



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller picture

Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller

$29.99



Fully Refurbished Commodore 64 + Original Box | Recapped, Tested, Guaranteed picture

Fully Refurbished Commodore 64 + Original Box | Recapped, Tested, Guaranteed

$299.00



Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW picture

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW

$11.99



RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on picture

RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on

$70.00