-
Static IP Address and Name Service
I'm a Linux novice; please be patient...
I'm having trouble getting my Linux box to provide its name to a nameserver
when the Linux box has a static IP address. When the Linux box uses DHCP,
its name can be used by other systems on the LAN to access it. When the
Linux box uses a static address, the other systems can't access it by name.
(I have no trouble getting to the internet/web...)
Environment:
DSL with Westell 6100 modem/router (from Verizon)
8-port hub
Intel-based PC with Knoppix from Kyle Rankin O'Reilly book on hard drive
Intel-based PC with Windows XP
Alpha-based server with "other" O/S
network-capable printer
Originally, I had all four boxes using DHCP. I switched the "other" system to
static IP address so that I can put an externally-visible web server on it. And,
I changed the printer to static IP address to simplify management.
The web interface to the modem/router lets me see what appears to be its ARP
cache [by selecting Troubleshooting -> LAN Stats]. With both DHCP and static
addresses, I can see the IP address, the MAC address, the hostname, and status
("Active") for the three systems other than the Linux box. If the Linux box
uses DHCP, I can see all four fields for it. If the Linux box uses a static
address, it always shows up with "*" in the name field. I can PING all boxes
from the others (well, from all except for the printer) by IP address. When the
Linux box uses DHCP, I can PING it from the other systems by name. When
the Linux box has a static IP address, if I PING it by name, I get "Ping
request could not find host..."
[When I switched the Linux box to use a static IP address, I did run into
the restart problem that is described in
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...highlight=pump.
I made the change to knoppix-autoconfig, and that problem is gone.]
With Ethereal running on the Linux box, if I do a PING <Linux box> on the Windows
box, I can see:
192.168.1.44 192.168.1.1 NBNS Name query NB LTCLNX<00>
192.168.1.1 192.168.1.44 ICMP Destination unreachable
192.168.1.44 192.168.1.1 NBNS Name query NB LTCLNX<00>
192.168.1.1 192.168.1.44 ICMP Destination unreachable
192.168.1.44 192.168.1.255 NBNS Name query NB LTCLNX<00>
(no response)
KEY:
192.168.1.44 is the Windows box (using DHCP).
192.168.1.1 is the router (with DSL modem).
LTCLNX is the Linux box (static address 192.168.1.102).
If I do a PING from the Linux box to the "other" box, I can see:
192.168.1.102 192.168.1.101 ICMP Echo (ping) request
192.168.1.101 192.168.1.102 ICMP Echo (ping) reply
(192.168.1.101 is the "other" box.)
/etc/network/interfaces contains:
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.102
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1
/etc/hostname is:
ltclnx
/etc/host.conf is:
order hosts,bind
multi on
What's wrong?
Similar Threads
-
By jart3 in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-27-2009, 03:38 PM
-
By emypisqua in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-17-2005, 09:14 PM
-
By jdally in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-17-2004, 08:35 PM
-
By chunky in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-04-2004, 07:44 PM
-
By manjo in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-29-2003, 11:26 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco
$89.99

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800
$59.99

Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair
$50.99

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00