Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't Get USB Camera Working in 2.6.9

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Can't Get USB Camera Working in 2.6.9

    I've been trying to bring my 2.6.9 kernel up to full functionality in my Knoppix 3.7 HD installation.
    I used to not even be able to boot to this kernel. But now that I've got it working, I want to switch from the 2.4 kernel to the 2.6.9.

    I got my scanner working. Next stop the USB camera drive!

    I turn the camera on while plugged into the USB port. I get this dmesg:

    usb 4-2: new full speed USB device using address 6
    scsi5 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    Vendor: Fujifilm Model: FinePix 1400Zoom Rev: 1000
    Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    SCSI device sda: 256000 512-byte hdwr sectors (131 MB)
    sda: Write Protect is off
    sda: Mode Sense: 00 32 02 00
    sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    sda: sda1
    Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi5, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

    So far so good.

    So, then I add a line in my fstab like so:

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/Camera users,noauto,rw 0 0

    But I get this error message when I go to mount it:

    mount: fs type rw not supported by kernel

    In the 2.4.27 kernel the drive is seen as /dev/sdb1 and shows up just fine.

    Any Linux experts out there know what I should do?

    Am I playing with fire trying to get two kernels fully up to speed in Knoppix 3.7?

    sakiZ

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Can I remove the ub module in 2.6.9?

    Ok, I found out why I can't use my usb camera in the 2.6.9 kernel: it's the ub module bug.

    Underscore and others have written about this in this forum. This bug is one reason why Knoppix is not a good candidate for a HDD installation.

    Anyway, can this module be removed? Or deactivated?

    I'm reading that if you can do either one, usb-storage starts working again in the 2.6.9 kernel.

    sakiZ

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Disabled the ub driver Camera drive now appears.

    OK,

    I disabled the buggy ub driver in

    /lib/modules/2.6.9/kernel/drivers/block/ub.ko

    I renamed the ub.ko driver so that it now will not load.

    I get nasty error messages now on boot up about this but now the camera drive shows up just fine as

    /dev/sdb1 /mnt/Camera just like in kernel 2.4.27

    Is there a cleaner way to disable this driver?

    Underscore, are you out there?

    sakiZ

Similar Threads

  1. coolpix L16 digital camera
    By e_cap in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 10:07 AM
  2. User Permissions for Your USB Camera
    By sakiZ in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2006, 02:41 AM
  3. Easier way to use a camera in linux?
    By ZeroKun in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 01:29 PM
  4. Small USB/camera problem.
    By spydie in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 07:55 PM
  5. USB Digital Camera
    By wikes82 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2003, 10:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$200.00



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



For Cisco SFP-10G-T-X Transceiver Multi-Rate 1G/2.5G/5G/10G SFP+ to RJ-45 Module picture

For Cisco SFP-10G-T-X Transceiver Multi-Rate 1G/2.5G/5G/10G SFP+ to RJ-45 Module

$66.31



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50