-
mount usb memory sticks
I am having trouble mounting my USB memory stick. When the device is installed Knoppix reconizes it and puts sda1, sda2, sda3 and sda4 on my desktop. When I try to open any of them I get an error message that says mount could not determine the file system type and none was specified. My goal is to run a linux script on the memory stick that was loaded in a windows enviroment. I have also tried to install the device then boot but that gave the same results.
-
The easiest way to mount aditional storage devices is to launch kdf or kinfocenter . KDiskFree is a portion of information that is found in the kinfocenter under Menu -> System ->Kinfocenter Find your USB storage device in kdf and it will show you the device, file type, mount point, and available free space. You can right click on the listing to mount it. I'm surprised you have 4 desktop icons for a single USB memory stick. At least with kdf you should be able to determine the file type. Mine is vfat.
-
Well I found the info center. It listed my Dell memory stick. Nothing happens whwn I click, double click or right click on it. It also does not tell it is vfat but I am fairly certain it is.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi,
At a terminal window as user knoppix try the following commands to save a previously created file called newfile1.txt:
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ su
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# mkdir /mnt/usbstore
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# mount -o uid=knoppix -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstore
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# exit
exit
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$ cp newfile1.txt /mnt/usbstore/newfile1.txt
knoppix@ttyp1[knoppix]$
If this is successful then try the same with a shell script file.
Regards,
Mark
-
I tried saving desktop configuration and Knoppix config to my USB key drive, but the results were very disappointing as much of the KDE config was not saved at all. I don't know what the Knoppix config is supposed to save.
Similar Threads
-
By embata_n1 in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-14-2005, 05:23 PM
-
By bob151 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-11-2005, 11:26 PM
-
By leone25s in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 11-25-2004, 02:56 AM
-
By Bothersome in forum The Lounge
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-02-2004, 02:20 AM
-
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-08-2004, 01:56 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99

Supermicro Server CSE-512L-200B 1U Chassis with X9SCL-F Core i3-2100 8GB 220W
$200.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD
$239.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00