Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: converting avi files to mpeg?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    converting avi files to mpeg?

    Got this pc camera (logitech) and so far i can only run same on winxp. I want to view the videos on knoppix but the logitech software only produces avi files. They don't play very well with xine even with the latest codecs. So I see this program ffmpeg which is supposed to convert video files from one format to another. I'll be danged if I can get it to work. It always crashes with some vague error message. Does anyone know of any reliable linux/knoppix program that I can use to do the file conversions? There seems to be tons of them available for win$ but I don't want to use those.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    I had success with
    <code>
    mencoder -oac pcm -ovc lavc "Unicycle Jousting.avi" -o UniJ.mpg
    </code>

    The "pcm" and "lavc" were pure guesswork on my part
    "mencoder -oac help" shows a available audiocodecs, -ovc does the same for videocodecs.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203
    Thank you, angor. I'm using the knoppix 4.02 DVD and it has ffmpeg but it doesn't seem to have mencoder. Any thoughts?

    I've got a limited understanding of all of this but it seems to me that these conversion apps are dependent on having the right codec installed. In my situation I guess if I had the right codec, if one existed, then I could play the file successfully and wouldn't need to convert it.

Similar Threads

  1. Converting a laptop to picture frame
    By Davy27 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 08:56 PM
  2. Converting RPM package to deb pkg gives error. Oracle instal
    By deepak_abc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 03:54 PM
  3. Converting RPM to DEB
    By Sabih in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 10:36 PM
  4. Converting german to english
    By chronictoker420 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 11:20 PM
  5. playing mpeg and other movie/video formats on knoppix
    By Atari911 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-20-2003, 11:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573) picture

PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573)

$149.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5gb W/Rack Mount Kit W/Keystones and Original hardware. picture

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5gb W/Rack Mount Kit W/Keystones and Original hardware.

$575.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$199.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



Unfi Security Gateway Pro picture

Unfi Security Gateway Pro

$170.00