Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: converting avi files to mpeg?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    converting avi files to mpeg?

    Got this pc camera (logitech) and so far i can only run same on winxp. I want to view the videos on knoppix but the logitech software only produces avi files. They don't play very well with xine even with the latest codecs. So I see this program ffmpeg which is supposed to convert video files from one format to another. I'll be danged if I can get it to work. It always crashes with some vague error message. Does anyone know of any reliable linux/knoppix program that I can use to do the file conversions? There seems to be tons of them available for win$ but I don't want to use those.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    100
    I had success with
    <code>
    mencoder -oac pcm -ovc lavc "Unicycle Jousting.avi" -o UniJ.mpg
    </code>

    The "pcm" and "lavc" were pure guesswork on my part
    "mencoder -oac help" shows a available audiocodecs, -ovc does the same for videocodecs.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203
    Thank you, angor. I'm using the knoppix 4.02 DVD and it has ffmpeg but it doesn't seem to have mencoder. Any thoughts?

    I've got a limited understanding of all of this but it seems to me that these conversion apps are dependent on having the right codec installed. In my situation I guess if I had the right codec, if one existed, then I could play the file successfully and wouldn't need to convert it.

Similar Threads

  1. Converting a laptop to picture frame
    By Davy27 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 08:56 PM
  2. Converting RPM package to deb pkg gives error. Oracle instal
    By deepak_abc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 03:54 PM
  3. Converting RPM to DEB
    By Sabih in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 10:36 PM
  4. Converting german to english
    By chronictoker420 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 11:20 PM
  5. playing mpeg and other movie/video formats on knoppix
    By Atari911 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-20-2003, 11:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00