Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: how to use grub-install with default Knoppix installation?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Boulder, Colorado USA
    Posts
    2

    how to use grub-install with default Knoppix installation?

    I just finished the default knoppix 4.0.2 installation.

    I'm told I should use grub-install because the I can specify "lang=us dma" in the configuration file. I've been reading http://orgs.man.ac.uk/documentation/grub/grub_16.html but I cannot figure out what to specify for the required device parameter.

    I try grub-instal hda0 and it says "format of installed device not recognized".
    I try grup-install hd0 (as exemplified in the documentation) and it says "Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device."
    I try "grub-install hda" and it says "Format of install_device not recognized."

    I try "grub-install /dev/hda1" and it says "Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device."


    Thanks,
    Siegfried

    knoppix@0[knoppix]$ sudo fdisk -l

    Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4864 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 6 48163+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda2 7 4767 38242732+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda3 4768 4864 779152+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    knoppix@0[knoppix]$

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    to install grub to the master boot record: grub-install /dev/hda

Similar Threads

  1. Getting GRUB to Use Windows as default Boot
    By johnwaynegoodin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 10:44 AM
  2. USB-Installation with mkbootdev - How to boot with grub?
    By nitric in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2007, 07:54 PM
  3. GRUB - Default entry does not boot automatically
    By Massif in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2006, 06:55 PM
  4. install MBR with GRUB from Knoppix
    By gunnerjoe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-21-2006, 05:46 PM
  5. Emergency - Grub Installation Problems!
    By gessi2000 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 06:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD

$599.00



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99