Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Red Hat Linux + Win98SE + Knoppix possible ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7

    Red Hat Linux + Win98SE + Knoppix possible ?

    I have Red Hat + Win98SE on a partitioned HD and a GRUB Boot loader.
    What I want to do is the further partition the FAT32 drive so I can copy the Knoppix program file onto it
    and run a "Poor Mans Install." ie knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda3 ( my 2nd FAT32 partition contain the knoppix program file, myconf=/mnt/hda3) And I want the Knoppix boot up option to come up on the Grub boot up menu. Editing the grub.conf file would obviously be done when I was running RH. What lines would need to be added ? And is this set up possible ? I assume it is. When running Knoppix could I view and read/write to my Red Hat filesystem ?
    Alternately I could boot from a floppy and then load the above commands from the knoppix prompt, but I would rather not have to do that and go via the GRUB menu instead.
    Thanks for any help.

    Mr White

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7
    The Knoppix CD I have does not contain the .iso file, but possess the isolinux folder and the Knoppix folder which contains the 700Mb program file.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: Red Hat Linux + Win98SE + Knoppix possible ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White
    I have Red Hat + Win98SE on a partitioned HD and a GRUB Boot loader.
    What I want to do is the further partition the FAT32 drive so I can copy the Knoppix program file onto it
    and run a "Poor Mans Install." ie knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda3 ( my 2nd FAT32 partition contain the knoppix program file, myconf=/mnt/hda3) And I want the Knoppix boot up option to come up on the Grub boot up menu. Editing the grub.conf file would obviously be done when I was running RH. What lines would need to be added ? And is this set up possible ? I assume it is. When running Knoppix could I view and read/write to my Red Hat filesystem ?
    Alternately I could boot from a floppy and then load the above commands from the knoppix prompt, but I would rather not have to do that and go via the GRUB menu instead.
    Thanks for any help.
    Mr White
    Yes, of course it possible: download or make a iso from your cd and boot from this iso file being on your hdd.
    The Knoppix files can be located either on your W98SE (fat32) and/or linux (ext2/3/reiser) partitions.
    And you can obviously reuse your grub boot loader. You just need to add a couple of lines in your menu.lst
    Have a look in here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    and here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=98279#98279
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Red Hat Linux + Win98SE + Knoppix possible ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White
    ... And is this set up possible ?....
    People have put dozens of operating systems on the same computer using XOSL as the boot manager, and that's actually an understatement. You can certainly put Red Hat, one or more versions of Windows, and Debian on the same system. If Knoppix can and more importantly should be installed on the system is a different matter. At least do your research on the problems that doing this with Knoppix is going to cause.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7
    That is why I want to do a "Poor Man's Install." I do not want to do a full install , just for the sake of convenience when it comes to uninstalling if there is a problem. Or if for whatever reason I want to free up disk space it would be far easier just to delete all the KNoppix files "by hand" instead of doing a full strength uninstall. I cannot boot from CD on my PC so when I run the live CD I use floppies to boot. What I want to do is get into my grub menu , see the three options ( Red Hat, Win , Knoppix ) and then have the option to run Knoppix and to run Knoppix without having to use floppies to boot . But Knoppix must not be fully installed. Only the main program file must be on of my HD ( fat 32) partitions. As I said I do not have the "iso" file on my CD , just isolinux and the 700Mb "program file."
    I've run the Live CD via floppies on my system and it works fine and I can read / write to both my win98 ( hda1) and Red hat (hda2) filesystems, which is exactly what I want. But like I said , for the sake of convenience I do not want Knoppix fully installed, I just want the PMInstall with the option in grub when I load.
    Just to sum up, I'm just messing about on an old 500Mhz machine with 128 RAM and 20Gb HD which was my lab machine from about 7 years ago and am just curious to see what systems I can run on it.
    There is certain software which runs fine in Knoppix and is precompiled and included which I do not have in Red Hat and which would be a pain to install as I would have to run around all over looking for dependencies and libraries when it comes to compiling and installing.
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep you posted to let you know how much I mess up !!!
    Cheers,

    Mr White

Similar Threads

  1. choosing the right linux dist (linux first time user)
    By blokk.m in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 03:17 AM
  2. no cd after using knoppix and going back to Win98se
    By loaderman in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-25-2006, 05:57 PM
  3. Free World Linux, can you help bring Linux to the poor..
    By skitzojase in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2006, 07:56 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 08:36 AM
  5. unable to view/access my win98se(fat32) partitions
    By a2ilindia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 02:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC  picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC

$750.00



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack picture

Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack

$500.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$200.00



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS picture

POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS

$179.85