-
Senior Member
registered user
Oh, never mind about the rescue files. I just created a DOSboot disk in WIN98 and I don't get all those files anymore!
These are the files I use:
/mnt/floppy/autoexec.bat
/mnt/floppy/command.com
/mnt/floppy/msdos.sys
/mnt/floppy/io.sys
/mnt/floppy/drvspace.bin
and
/mnt/hda1/knpppix/loadlin.exe
/mnt/hda1/knoppix/vmlinuz
/mnt/hda1/knoppix/miniroot.gz
/mnt/hda1/knoppix/knoppix
BTW, one added benefit of all this is that my kids only need one disk now.
You don't know what a nightmare its been! I was runing bigslack on a DOS partition until most of the hdds in my lab started to fail. So I ran to knoppix and made 3 disks for each student (one boot floppy, one data floppy and one CD). I saw this as the only way to help my students right away on an emergency basis. I can't even knx-hdsinstall (as the hdds are failing and too small).
I used to have to bring into each lab 25 CDs, 25 KNOPPIXboot disks and 25 data disks for my students to save their work per class (3 such classes). With the KNOPPIX image on hda1, I don't need the CDs anymore. Now that I've switched to the DOSboot disks, not only does KNOPPIX boot faster and run smoother, but there's plenty of room left on the DOSboot disk to save files too, so no more data disks! Well, the boot disk doubles as the data disk.... So, I need a DOSboot disk for each of my students and that's all. That's still 75 "data/boot disks," but no more KNOPPIXboot disks or CDs.
TADA all over again!
Next year, I'm supposed to get my lab replaced. We'll see about knx-hdinstall then for at least one server to save their work and to ftp files from me. I like this DOSboot disk set-up, though. I may keep this kind of set-up with the latest copy of KNOPPIX on my new Pentium IVs. They should fly! I had an intranet running with slackware (for the last 5 years or so) and we had it all set-up nice with file servers, ftp servers, print servers.... I even had to move my ftp server files to http://www.geocities.com/calcpage2000/pub just to share files again!
Thanx,
Similar Threads
-
By ijuz in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-07-2005, 05:02 AM
-
By WolfCub in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-11-2004, 10:47 AM
-
By Superstoned in forum Ideas
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-28-2004, 03:33 PM
-
By umbra in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 07:20 PM
-
By newguy in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$200.00

2‑Pack SFP+ 10G BiDi BX‑U/BX‑D 1270/1330nm 10km | Cisco Compatible | ALVIRON
$48.99

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99