Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Another linux n00b: Help with manual config of wireless

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4

    Another linux n00b: Help with manual config of wireless

    Hi peeps,

    I will try to describe wht I have achieved and wht I am having problems with.

    Im using the latest Knoppix distro.

    I have managed to install the driver for my WG311v2 using the following instructions

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ighlight=wg311

    My router is NOT using DHCP, which is where my probelms start. When I try to setup the connection manually using the lanmanager (damn i cant remember wht the apps name is) i dont know wht to input for some of the values. The ones which im stumped on are:

    Broadcast Address (the MAC address of adapter ???)
    Namesever (DNS address???)

    I believe im setting the other values correctly, any input into wht i should be looking out for is very welcome.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Another linux n00b: Help with manual config of wireless

    Quote Originally Posted by mongoled
    Hi peeps,
    This greeting may not help your case.

    Quote Originally Posted by mongoled
    My router is NOT using DHCP, which is where my probelms start.
    Absolutely, although you don't mention why or even what make and model of router. But life with Knoppix is much simpler if you enable it.

    Quote Originally Posted by mongoled
    Broadcast Address (the MAC address of adapter ???)
    No the broadcast address is an IP address, not a MAC address. It is always the highest address in the local range, and that is determined by the mask (and the IP address). For exampe if you are using an IP address of 192.168..0.100 and a mask of 255.255.255.0 then the broadcast address is 192.168.0.255. With a different mask it would be different. You should be able to find much more information on this than you will ever want with a simple search at Google.

    Quote Originally Posted by mongoled
    Namesever (DNS address???)
    Yes, Nameserver, DNS, Domain Name Server are all the same. It's assigned by your ISP. Some routers let you put their address here and they forwar4d the DNS requests for you, but you should always be able to use the DNS assigned by the ISP.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    broadcast is NOT mac, you most likely can leave that blank. yes dns=nameserver

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4
    Hello, well thanks for the reply, is this a formal forum as I dont seem why my greeting would deter people from responding?

    The router is a WGT624, I have always set up my Windows networks manually, so I dont use DHCP, i didnt think it would be relevant to explain why I had it disabled.

    Ok i will read up more on 'Broadcast Address', as for Name Server, I have been using my ISP DNS address so at least tht is correct.

    Im sorry if my posts are lacking detail, because i have to switch back over to my Windows install to access the net, i am having difficulty recalling alot of the settings I have to play with when usign the Knoppix distro. I will attempt to connect again, and if I fail (which i think is more than likely) will bring back more detailed questions.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4
    Well, i didnt have much luck, it seems the reason Im not connecting is because my, 'Access Point' for some reason is not being detected. It comes up as 00:00:00:00:00:00:00. My ESSID is showing up fine, my ip address is showing up fine, just no Access Point.

    How should i be troubleshooting this issue?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4
    Well, it looks like im not going to be getting any more help here. After browsing the net the last few days, reading abt 'normal' peoples issues with regards to Linux based OS's I understand the reason tht MS based products are so popular. I decided to post at these forums because of the forum title, KNOPPIX.net FROM ZERO TO LINUX IN 5 MINUTES. Ofcourse I didnt expect to become a Linux wiz in 5 minutes (LOL), but the amount of 'support' I have received has not helped me resolve the issues I have been having. Until experienced Linux users, can help the average user with 'fundamental' things such as connecting to the internet then my opinion is Linux based OS's will remain a platform operated by savvy users. I do understand that one of the reasons certain problems exist is down to hardware manufacturers lack of software support for Linux systems. I dont want to be attacked for my point of view, because this is how I see things from my perspective.

    Taking my last question as an example, I havnt asked to be spoon fed, i take great joy by working something out for myself, but if I cant even get a comment from a general question such as the one I made,
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoled
    Well, i didnt have much luck, it seems the reason Im not connecting is because my, 'Access Point' for some reason is not being detected. It comes up as 00:00:00:00:00:00:00. My ESSID is showing up fine, my ip address is showing up fine, just no Access Point.

    How should i be troubleshooting this issue?
    then its clear, tht your average user will just give in and go back to his MS box.

    My biggest dissapointment abt not being able to connect to the internet using the hardware available to me, is because I am not able to learn more abt Linux through using the internet as a learning/research tool. I learn (like most people) by reading something and doing it in practise. My intentions were to get the Knoppix live CD connect to the net, then to browse, read and try things related to this OS, something i cant do.

    But im not going to give up, I will be installing ubuntu onto a hard disk pretty soon, hopefully I will have a better user experience from using this Linux distro.

Similar Threads

  1. Linux manual available?
    By oliju in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2005, 05:51 PM
  2. wireless = ok, but have to start manual...
    By N!co in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2005, 06:57 PM
  3. Wireless config not being loaded from saved config.
    By Legless_Marine in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 04:13 AM
  4. N00b help! My Orinoco card wont config... is it me?
    By okeydokey in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 11:46 PM
  5. Linux n00b needs help
    By pcrage69 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 05:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI picture

Supermicro E200-8D Mini Server Xeon D-1528 6-Core 64GB ECC 1TB SSD 2x10GbE IPMI

$525.00



HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$164.97



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50