Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: What's wrong with mkbootfloppy in 4.0?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Austin, tx
    Posts
    4

    What's wrong with mkbootfloppy in 4.0?

    I am trying to boot knoppix 4.0.2 on an old Dell laptop (pentium 166). It has no option to boot from cd. I tried the mkbootfloppy command using another computer, but the progress bar goes to like 110% on the first floppy, then it prompts for the second floppy. Knoppix tells me the disks were created successfully but then I have a problem booting. The first disk loads, but near the end I see the prompt to insert the second floppy, then something about my keyboard, then mouse, then a blank prompt. At this point I put in the second floppy and hit enter, and it says something like Found root block 0, then something about about a filesystem error (err=2).

    Any ideas how i can fix this or how I can get a working pair of boot/root floppies? I also tried using the 4.0.1 DVD to make the floppies with the same result.

    I tried to use Smart Boot Manager but it can't boot my cdrom. That's a whole other story.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: What's wrong with mkbootfloppy in 4.0?

    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk256
    I tried to use Smart Boot Manager but it can't boot my cdrom. That's a whole other story.
    The Linux kernel has grown to the point where it no longer fits on a single floppy. While there are some who try to split the kernel onto two floppies and the support logic to allow the floppies to be swapped mid-boot, this is a complex approach that needlessly adds problems and requires that new floppies be made whenever a kernel is updated. SBM is a much better approach, as it allows one to boot a CD from one floppy without the need to swap floppies or make a new floppy when a kernel is changed. If SBM will not boot for you, perhaps you shouls ask why; it could well be the same as one of the reasons that the multiple floppy kluge isn't working.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Austin, tx
    Posts
    4

    I fixed Knoppix!!!

    I got the bootfloppy to work! Yay!

    I'm no programmer, so this is a very lowdown dirty thing I'm about to tell you, but it worked.

    I happened upon this post:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14855

    and was interested by the idea that the second boot floppy still uses a "1440" format. In 4.0.2 there are a lot more than 3 occurences of "1722" and I did not know which ones to change. So what I did (in Kate ) was find all occurences of "1722" in /usr/sbin/mkbootfloppy and replace them with 1440, then save the modified file to the desktop. I started the graphical "Make Knoppix boot floppies" and made the first disk as usual. When I was promted for the second disk I made the switch, substituting my modified mkbootfloppy for the original. Correct me if I am wrong, but that caused the second floppy to be formatted as a 1.44 MB disk.

    Now knoppix boots from floppies with no problem!


    As for SBM, all I ever get when booting from a floppy is "SBMK Bad!". I did manage to get it installed to the hard drive but I get a cdrom read error. The only option I could find that might help was to specify the address in hex, which I had no clue about. After watching knoppix try to boot several times though I saw an address fly by during init, so I may give that a try later.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: I fixed Knoppix!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk256
    The only option I could find that might help was to specify the address in hex, which I had no clue about. After watching knoppix try to boot several times though I saw an address fly by during init, so I may give that a try later.
    I think you're on the wrong track there. I have used XOSL on several systems that wouldn't boot CDs and installed SBM on another just for the experience and also to boot between Win or Debian on hard disk or Knoppix on CD. Have another system that needs a SBM floppy to boot the KNoppix DVD (but not the CD). I've never had to worry about a hex address for any of them, about the only thing one needs to know with SBM is which optical drive or which partition you want to boot from.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Where is mkbootfloppy?
    By frednet in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 09:55 PM
  2. Where do I find mkbootfloppy?
    By terryfilby in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 11:30 AM
  3. All going very wrong!
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 09:56 AM
  4. OK~ what am i doing wrong..
    By mikejn1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 02:42 PM
  5. Howto successfully "mkbootfloppy" with kernel 2.6
    By larrycow in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 05:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS  PromBlaster picture

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster

$895.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 Vintage Computer - Not Working parts picture

Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 Vintage Computer - Not Working parts

$89.95



Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA picture

Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA

$139.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



Vintage Radio Shack TRS-80 5.25

Vintage Radio Shack TRS-80 5.25" Floppy Disk Lot of 9 Single Sided Used

$49.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board. picture

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.

$135.37