Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Can't boot Knoppix V3.6

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4

    Can't boot Knoppix V3.6

    Greetings,

    I'm new to this forum, so hope I have done this correctly.
    I recently bought a new PC and now can't boot into Knoppix v3.6 from the live CD. It still works fine in my old PC, so I assume there is no problem with the CD.
    Heres' a description of the problem, followed by some hardware info (hope I have given enough),

    Knoppix v3.6
    Start in normal mode,
    Screen only displays 2 Knoppix logos top left of screen, ie no text at all. Boot stops at this point.

    Started in failsafe mode,
    Boots to this point,
    "
    Uniform multi-platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00_beta4-2.4
    ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus-xx
    SIS5513: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:02.5
    SIS5513: chipset revision 1
    SIS5513: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0affa7, BIOS setings: hdaMA, hdbMA
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0affaf, BIOS setings: hdcMA, hddMA
    "
    Boot stops at this point.

    HARDWARE,
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer: MSI
    Model : MS-7113
    Version: 1.0
    Chipset Model: SiS648FX(??) CPU to PCI Bridge
    Chipset Vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 HT
    CPU socket: LGA775 [CPU 1]
    Processor Upgrade:
    Max CPU speed: 3200 MHz
    Slots: 1 PCI, 1 AGP

    BIOS
    BIOS Date: 05/12/05
    BIOS Web page: www.ami.com
    BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
    Version: 080011

    CPU
    1 physical processor / 2 logical processors
    Vendor: GenuineIntel
    CPU Full Name: Intel Pentium 4 HT
    CPU Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
    Code Name: Prescott-2M
    Technology: 0.09ยต
    Platform Name: LGA775

    Devices
    CD/DVD Drives,
    Hardware IDs IDE\CdRomCyberDrv_CW038D_CD-R/RW (Secondary slave)
    Hardware IDs IDE\CdRomBENQ_DVD_DD_DW1640 (Secondary master)
    Hard Drives,
    Hardware IDs IDE\DiskMaxtor_6Y160P0 (Primary master)
    Hardware IDs IDE\DiskSAMSUNG_SV1022D (Primary slave)
    RADEON X300/X550 Series Secondary
    Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B70&SUBSYS_00311462&REV_00\4&797 C7A&0&0108
    Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc.
    RADEON X300/X550 Series
    Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B60&SUBSYS_00301462&REV_00\4&797 C7A&0&0008
    Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc.
    SiS PCI IDE Controller
    Hardware IDs PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_5513&SUBSYS_71131462&REV_01

    I'm working toward a LInux installation for this PC, but fell at this first hurdle. I'd appreciate any help.

    Thanks.
    Bob

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92

    Re: Can't boot Knoppix V3.6

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK_1905
    Greetings,

    I'm new to this forum, so hope I have done this correctly.
    I recently bought a new PC and now can't boot into Knoppix v3.6 from the live CD. It still works fine in my old PC, so I assume there is no problem with the CD.
    [...]
    Thanks.
    Bob
    try this using the CD
    Code:
    boot: Knoppix26
    if no go, review the knoppix-cheatcodes.txt in the /KNOPPIX Directory and try things like ' noacpi ' (etc) -- or get a newer Knoppix version

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4
    Thanks. As suggested I tried various cheat codes, but without success. The latest download for Knoppix produces the same problem. It seems to be hardware related and not just with Knoppix. I've tried installing the latest versions of Suse, Mandriva and Ubuntu. None could be installed and all had problems with hardware detection. Suse and Ubuntu couldn't detect the CD (DVD) drive the install program was running from.
    Its been suggested that as the mobo is new, perhaps the chipset is not supported for Linux. The specs for the board claim support for all later WIN versions, but make no mention of Linux. I'll do a bit more research and if I can get to the bottom of this I'll post the details.
    Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2
    I have a similar problem. I boot the Knoppix CD then it goes to a screen with a X in the middle. Dunno what it means or how to get to a reg desktop. Please advise.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by BobK_1905
    Thanks. As suggested I tried various cheat codes, but without success. The latest download for Knoppix produces the same problem. It seems to be hardware related and not just with Knoppix. I've tried installing the latest versions of Suse, Mandriva and Ubuntu. None could be installed and all had problems with hardware detection. Suse and Ubuntu couldn't detect the CD (DVD) drive the install program was running from.
    Its been suggested that as the mobo is new, perhaps the chipset is not supported for Linux. The specs for the board claim support for all later WIN versions, but make no mention of Linux. I'll do a bit more research and if I can get to the bottom of this I'll post the details.
    Thanks again.
    1st - my apologies for the late reply -- been away for a few days

    This is a Desktop ..yes ? (not a Laptop)
    .....double check all your physical connections (REseat the RAM, check Cabling, check Drive "jumpers" are correct etc - Make sure BIOS is set to "AUTO" for each IDE/ATA device under IDE Config)

    I notice your Display Adapter output is listed TWICE.....it "seems" it may be Ati's Onboard Graphics??
    Are you also using a Video Card ? -- if one is installed, Disable the Onboard Video in the BIOS, and Set the "Primary Display Adapter" to one of these appropriate settings (PCI-Express, AGP, PCI) depending upon the the VC

    If you can use
    Code:
    KNOPPIX 1
    as the boot: cheatcode and get to a command prompt, then type
    Code:
    lspci -n
    write down info and post it here -- it will look similar to this;
    $ lspci -n
    0000:00:00.0 0600: 8086:7190 (rev 03)
    0000:00:01.0 0604: 8086:7191 (rev 03)
    0000:00:07.0 0601: 8086:7110 (rev 02)
    0000:00:07.1 0101: 8086:7111 (rev 01)
    0000:00:07.2 0c03: 8086:7112 (rev 01)
    0000:00:07.3 0680: 8086:7113 (rev 02)
    0000:00:0c.0 0401: 1274:1371 (rev 06)
    0000:00:0e.0 0200: 100b:0020
    0000:00:10.0 0780: 12b9:1006
    0000:01:00.0 0300: 10de:0028 (rev 11)
    armed with this info, one can paste that into this site's config
    http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/index.cgi
    - and see if it's linux compatible (plus it will inform one of hardware names and drivers/modules)

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavien
    I have a similar problem. I boot the Knoppix CD then it goes to a screen with a X in the middle. Dunno what it means or how to get to a reg desktop. Please advise.
    That little 'x' occurs usually only for a short period while the Display resolution is being configured to call up XWindows (or XServer) usually. Don't know what you mean by 'reg' desktop

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2
    Regular desktop. I sit at that "X" for more then an hour. No response at all. I dunno, but in windows there is a vga safe mode, is there such a thing in knoppix, that I can forget the vga stuff to check the rest of the machine for possible defects.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavien
    Regular desktop. I sit at that "X" for more then an hour. No response at all. I dunno, but in windows there is a vga safe mode, is there such a thing in knoppix, that I can forget the vga stuff to check the rest of the machine for possible defects.
    Xavien;
    have you even tried the cheatcodes and other workarounds (to obtain hardware info) I listed for the OP ??

    You will need to clarify about your setup and be very specific about what System, OSes installed and ALL System components you have -- also make BACKUPS of anything Important NOW!! (if you haven't already )

    hehehe - the 'reg' thing -- I'm so familiar with using the shortened term REG to describe Windows Regedit.exe app - my bad

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the info.

    This is a Desktop ..yes ? (not a Laptop)
    Yes, a desktop.

    .....double check all your physical connections (REseat the RAM, check Cabling, check Drive "jumpers" are correct etc -
    Checked connections and jumpers and all seem to be OK. No problems with Windows.

    Make sure BIOS is set to "AUTO" for each IDE/ATA device under IDE Config)
    IDE devices are autoconfigured by default.

    I notice your Display Adapter output is listed TWICE.....it "seems" it may be Ati's Onboard Graphics??
    Are you also using a Video Card ? -- if one is installed, Disable the Onboard Video in the BIOS, and Set the "Primary Display Adapter" to one of these appropriate settings (PCI-Express, AGP, PCI) depending upon the the VC

    I think this is because the card has dual monitor support. Even WIN PnP detected two devices with two different drivers.

    I tried using the knoppix 1 cheat code. Setup! started OK, but failed with "Autoconfiguring devices ...". It doesn't go past that point.
    I thought I might try swapping the DVD drive for another that I can borrow.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92
    Suggest the various cheatcodes;
    acpi=off
    vga=normal

    could also try the copy image to HDD cheat codes, (only if you have somewhere to store the ~700MB on your HDD)
    Examples (hda1 is the 1st partition on 1st HDD - change/alter accordingly);

    knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1 Copy CD to HD partition and run from there
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1 Boot from previously copied CD-Image

    Insert -> 26 after knoppix, for kernel2.6 (ex knoppix26 tohd=/dev/ha1)

    Copying and Booting from HDD will eliminate any flaky CD/DVD drive issues (as long as the 700MB is copied over correctly) - and booting from HDD will result in faster performance - plus you'll free up yet another Optical drive (once booted, you can remove the LiveCD)

    Also note in version Knoppix 3.6 - the default Kernel is still 2.4, while 2.6 was still "experimental" at that time (though I've used it on older hardware)

    Try a newer Knoppix version - your ATi Drivers may be the issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  2. Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini
    By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
  3. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  4. using knoppix on multi-boot CD's (boot scriptor)
    By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM picture

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM

$174.99



HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Opteron X3421 32GB DDR4 Intel X550 10GbE No HDD

$599.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00