-
Screen Goes Blank After Loading Knoppix
I'm brand new to linux, so please go easy on me.
I've burnt knoppix to cd and manage to boot from it on one of my PCs.
It boots up and when it says "press enter to load LiveCD" I press enter. Then after a second or so it says something like:
"You passed an undefined mode number"
"Press <enter> to see video modes or press space to continue"
I press space and then it proceeds to load Knoppix.
After a while it says "Loading X Windows" and then my screen just goes black and nothing happens.
Please can you explain how to fix this!
Thanks a lot,
raZer
-
Senior Member
registered user
The
"You passed an undefined mode number"
can be ignored. You can enter a zero "0" or just press enter.
It sounds like knoppix is doing the best it can at autodetecting the video hardware (perhaps getting it wrong) & then setting a resolution & refresh rate that is beyond the capabilities of the hardware. Try booting knoppix with some Cheat Codes, such as:
knoppix screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60
knoppix screen=640x480 xvrefresh=60
I hope this helps.
James
-
Thanks James.
How do I enter cheat codes?
Must I type it in when it says "press enter to boot knoppix"?
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
It still says "you have passed an undefined mode number" after I enter the cheatcode and then it proceeds to load up with a small font and then gets stuck at the same place!
Is there some way I can use it without having this X Windows thing?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
raZer
How do I enter cheat codes?
You didn't bother to read the Cheat Code article in the wiki (reached by following the documentation link near the top of this page), did you? I say this because you likely would not have asked this and your later question if you had.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By marooketan in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-05-2010, 12:56 AM
-
By caballan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-13-2007, 05:46 AM
-
By rajmgd2004 in forum Laptops
Replies: 9
Last Post: 11-18-2005, 01:15 PM
-
By frastitute in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-19-2004, 06:59 PM
-
By bob in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620
$325.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM
$174.99

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
$635.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00