I have an ASUS laptop with an ATI (Mobility Radion x700) graphics card and would like to get my system to format the screen to 1280 x 800.

As it is the screen happily displays a default VGA format which is OK but (of course) a bit 'stretched'.

The system doesn't seem to recognise the graphic card so in 'Hardware Information' I get the following ...

ATI Technologies Inc. Unknown device 565S (prog-if 00 [VGA])

Which I imagine is just telling me that the system has switched to a default graphic mode.

In the Control Centre I tried to select 1280 x 800 but this wasn't available (there were just three default modes).

So my question here is whether I can get XFree86 to output 1280 x 800 without recognising the graphics card or whether I really need to install a driver specific to my graphics card?

Any tips would be a great help to me.

Regards and thanks,
Alan Searle