Check out the home pages on the NTFS drivers. Their problems tend to be with permissions/ownership of files and allocation of space if writing a new file. With few or hard choices with a Windows system, I would delete files with little anxiety; rewrite deloused files with little anxiety unless they expand radically, which I would view as unlikely, and I would be apprehensive about writing a new file. You can write a backup within KNOPPIX to a USB or firewire drive. If Windows ran afterwards, I would create a proper backup of all data, in case of a crash.
I would view the O/S as suspect, but then it is a Windows system and suspect to begin with. I have a blow it all away and reload about once a year on my machines. It usually involves one intensive session and then a week or so of intermittant tinkering to get everything reloaded and all of the data retrieved from backups i.e. to get everything arranged. I am more conservative with the machine my wife is on, because she doesn't respond well to needing a piece of software reloaded or some data file retrieved from a backup. I keep good backups of that box and pray a lot. It is an older box 1 Ghz with W2K. I have been unsuccessful in persuading her to move to a notebook.

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog
$85.00
Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99
Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99
1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800
$59.99
S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)
$69.95
BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00
CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99
ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00