Hi!
In both computers here at home, when i'm making the compressed file system, the system crashes.
In one I have 1 GB of RAM plus 600 of swap and in the other 512 MB of RAM and 600 of swap.
What could cause the crashes?
Hi!
In both computers here at home, when i'm making the compressed file system, the system crashes.
In one I have 1 GB of RAM plus 600 of swap and in the other 512 MB of RAM and 600 of swap.
What could cause the crashes?
I had a same kind of problem in my remastering. My DVD is 2 GB and I have 2 GB ram + 1.5 GB swap. I didn't notice that my kernel supported only 1 GB memory and that was not enough. So I compiled kernel with 4 GB support and now making compressed fs almost fly! Doing a 2 GB compressed fs needs about 2.7 GB memory. So my " GB ram isn't enough - about 700 swap is also needed.Originally Posted by insolit
If you want to compare, my uptime showed about 8 when it is in normal use near zero. The system almost halted because of lacking memory.
-tapsa-
Exactly... I'm really convinced it's a problem with memory. I run top to keep track of the compression, and it keeps eating memory and when memory ends, the system crashes. So I created a 3 GB swap partition+600MB partition and 512 of real memory... After this it worked!

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99
S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)
$69.95
Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00
BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00
TDL “the ZPU” rev 1 February 1977 s100 cpu board
$345.00
S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)
$34.99
CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$40.00
ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00