Yes, this would be very interesting. But first, shouldn't we be talking about what application we'd run on a cluster?
Regards,
At our local LUG (http://lugoj.org), we just had a presentation from one of our members who built an 8-node Beowulf cluster using RedHat. During her presentation (http://atlee.net/beowulf/), one of the topics that came up was the potential for a Knoppix-powered cluster.
Has anyone set one up? I've inherited much of her cluster hardware for experimentation and would like to see what I can come up with.
Yes, this would be very interesting. But first, shouldn't we be talking about what application we'd run on a cluster?
Regards,
In an production setting, yes. I'm thinking more along the lines of a fairly generic case for academic purposes.
Even in this case, though, you're right. A specific application can provide a sample scenario to see the student through to completion and provide some means of verifying that it all works as it should.
Look in the new ideas forum... clusterKnoppix!![]()
Ok I have an application to run on the cluster. Now first I need to write a parallel code for a 3d poisson solver and run it on the cluster.
Ok now the application is decided. now where can i get a tutorial to get my cluster running.
i have a question someone said that cluster can be created with diskless clients.
second. does the clients need to have clusterknoppix or any other linux on it or not.
third can cluster be created my adding a mac on the cluster or only PC r allowed.
It's fairly simpleOriginally Posted by ziyad
1. Plug in network cables
2. Start the PCs
3. Put in the ClusterKnoppix CDs
The nodes will automagicaly join the cluster, if everything works
Yes, just like PXE booting normal Knoppix. Just boot one with the CD and boot the others via the network. There's a menu entry for network booting in the Knoppix menu.i have a question someone said that cluster can be created with diskless clients.
No they need to have the same (openMosix patched) version of the Linux kernel. So you might be able to use some of the iso's mentioned at OpenMosix.org, as long as they use the same kernel version.second. does the clients need to have clusterknoppix or any other linux on it or not.
It might be possible to port openMosix to the Mac hardware, but then you can't mix different processors (very well). IBM-compatibles and mac use a totaly different. Different intel processors can be mixed, but if you start for example MPlayer on an MMX machine it will use MMX instructions. When in moves to a node that doesn't know MMX it will (likely) crash.third can cluster be created my adding a mac on the cluster or only PC r allowed.
Hmm. Should there be problems mixing Intel and AMD processors?Originally Posted by Henk Poley
that means eitehr I can burn 12 cluster knoppix cd's and boot each of my 12 clients using the cd's or I can use PXE.
I never really understood what was PXE. U mean I can use my server and be able to boot my clients through my server.
Why can't i understand a simple thing.
OK i have some computers in my lab. But i don't have access to those computers. I only have access to my computer. Can using cluster knoppix I can make a cluster with out putting anything on the clients. my lab mates won't let me do anything to there computers. But i really need to test this thing.
Yes.Originally Posted by ziyad
You can either make cd's for all of the computers or do a network boot with an etherboot image on a flopy.Originally Posted by ziyad
Get the howto details here:
http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/doc/index.html
Now this is what I wanted. This is perfect. I can download PXE and put it on a floppy and boot my clients from the floppy. does PXE automatically knows what to or I have to make changes to it.Originally Posted by aay
Let me try it.

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S Reset & Tested Lot of 2
$32.99
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10-3105-01 SFP+ Transceiver Module W/ Hologram Lot of 14
$98.00
Lot of 32 Cisco GLC-T 30-1410-03 1000BASE-T SFP Transceivers
$150.00
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99