-
Apt, Knoppix 3.9, Debian 7-disc set, and I found a fix
Thanks for all of the input. I am still set in my ways, that even though Knoppix is not Debian, which I know - it is Debian based, has the same file system structure, uses programs from the Debian repository without problem, compiles the same, is still GNU, and uses Apt. Therefore, it IS Debian. I don't care that Debian won't support it directly, because it is pieces of everything from stable to testing. And besides all of that, I found a true fix for this problem. As I have reinstalled my system several times already, I wasn't about to reinstall again-I'd rather just do without the GUI, BASH worked just fine still. So I went looking for the problem and found out that the answer was simple:
Code:
ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean
That little single liner fixed all of my problems. Apparently it was a misfeature in the 3.9 version of Knoppix, but it was listed on the problems/solutions site for 3.9 knoppix HD install. As far as using Apt goes, I love Apt myself, and wouldn't for one second assume that it was Apt's fault that my system broke. I never thought that or claimed that. I was thinking that I was missing something to begin with, before I ran Apt, and I was right. Actually I tested for my problem once again and found that my problem reared its ugly face after simply setting up my network interface card, which is another problem in 3.9. After doing that I rebooted and KDE wouldn't start up anymore. So I knew right away that it wasn't Apt. Loaded up links and googled my problem with KDE loading the System Services, and found that the above line of code - simply making a soft link to ifupdown-clean in the startup script directory - fixed it! I haven't had any problems since then. Thanks for looking for the answer to my question, but I appreciate your efforts to help me anyway.
As for the 7-disc set of Debian, you're right, it is an older set, actually it's Woody I believe, and I've been told before to get Sarge, but I really don't have time, so I'm "stuck" trying to figure out the answers to my problems on my own. I don't have broadband, so I'm not in a situation where I can use the one-disk setup, then use dpkg to download and install all of my packages. Anyway I thought I'd let you know my current status on this, so that if anyone else has the same problem they might be able to fix it from this post, and so that nobody feels like I don't appreciate the help they have given me. Thanks all.
Similar Threads
-
By rgruhn in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 24
Last Post: 11-02-2005, 05:30 AM
-
By Phatcat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 10-09-2005, 04:17 PM
-
By Ajak in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-29-2005, 02:07 AM
-
By pgk3734 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-11-2004, 06:17 AM
-
By gerjan in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

CISCO CVR-X2-SFP10G X2 to SFP+ 10GB 74-6321-03 Converter Module *Lot of 14”
$115.19

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC
$27.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99