Never mind the connection part. I rebooted my box and now it is working.
However, I could still use information about firewalls. What are they? Do I need one with a cable modem? What is the best solution?
Thanks
Steve
Hi;
I have an OLD ( over a year ) copy of knoppix installed on my hard drive.
I've never had a high speed connection before and today the cable guy came and hooked up my PC to a cable modem.
No surprise, he didn't know how to get it working with knoppix. I'm using the KDE desktop.
I would be much obliged if someone could tell me how to get knoppix working with the cable hookup( hopefully, before my dialup account runs out ).
Do I need to get a firewall? If so, could someone tell me the easiest (or best) option to take care of that?
Thanks much in advance
Steve
Never mind the connection part. I rebooted my box and now it is working.
However, I could still use information about firewalls. What are they? Do I need one with a cable modem? What is the best solution?
Thanks
Steve
The best solution is a hardware firewall, and you do need one with a cable modem, particularly if you run Windows but there are growing issues for Linux only users too. See answer #4 for more details.Originally Posted by beforewisdom
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00
Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$166.24
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$165.58
Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00
Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99
Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS
$15.00
Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00
Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95