What exactly happens? Dose it boot at all- does it tell you exactly what doesn't work? BTW- don't use the xvrefresh=60 unless that is the actual vertical refresh rate for your monitor.
I have used the following cheatcodes to no avail!
xmodule=vesa
xmodule=fbdev
xvrefresh=60
screen=800x600
noddc
![]()
my video card is a GeForce2 MX/MX400
What exactly happens? Dose it boot at all- does it tell you exactly what doesn't work? BTW- don't use the xvrefresh=60 unless that is the actual vertical refresh rate for your monitor.
How About giving this a try
knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA xvrefresh=60 (check this first with your monitor!) vga=normal
It worked for me this will at least get KDE up and runnig from there the skies the limit.....
Dave![]()
Thanks for the replys.
What I'm getting is the knoppix blue screen, then
loading vmlinuz........
loading miniroot.gz........
then a black screen
when I tried vga=normal I got the above, plus:
Ready.
Uncompressing Linux....OK, booting the kernel
then everything froze (blue screen and above writing stayed on) no response to any keyboard input. Which is a step further than I have been before, but not far enough!!
I also tried xserver=XF86_SVGA xvrefresh=60 vga=normal
with the same results
monitor is a Mag innovision model dx15fe.
any more suggestions?
Try adding xmodule=nv to the line and have you tried the noddc in combination with the other options or just on it's own that may be worth a try.Originally Posted by cozzy
have tried the following combinations:
xserver=XF86_SVGA
2 vga=normal
noddc vga=normal
vga=normal xmodule=nv
xserver=XF86_SVGA vga=normal
xserver=XF86_SVGA xvrefresh=60 vga=normal xmodule=nv noddc
xserver=XF86_SVGA xvrefresh=60 vga=normal xmodule=nv
always the same results: if i dont put in vga=normal I get
loading vmlinuz........
loading miniroot.gz........
then a black screen
if I do put in vga=normal, I get:
loading vmlinuz........
loading miniroot.gz........
Ready.
Uncompressing Linux....OK, booting the kernel
then everything freezes (blue screen and above writing stay on) no response to any keyboard input.
![]()
This seems like a hardware (detection) problem (in the kernel). Try adding all the "no.." (noacpi, nousb) stuff that you can afford to run without, or don have at all.Originally Posted by cozzy
What are the rest of the specs of you machine? Mobo, sound, etc.
tried
noscsi nopcmcia nousb noswap noapm noapic noddc
results as before.
my sytem stats: hope they are of some use, thanks for you assistaince
Andrew
[Display]
Item Value
Name NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0110&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_B2\4&26E 5833C&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce2 MX//MX 400, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)
Adapter RAM 64.00 MB (67,108,864 bytes)
Installed Drivers nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version 6.13.10.2958
INF File nv4_disp.inf (nv4 section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 800 x 600 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xDE000000-0xDEFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xD7FFFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 5
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys (6.13.10.2958, 870.81 KB (891,711 bytes), 29/08/2002 6:16 PM)
[Sound Device]
Item Value
Name VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)
Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
Status OK
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_41611106&REV_30\3&61A AA01&0&8D
I/O Port 0x0000E800-0x0000E8FF
IRQ Channel IRQ 11
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\viaudio.sys (5.12.01.3516 built by: VIA, 42.63 KB (43,648 bytes), 11/10/2002 12:36 PM)
Name Unimodem Full-Duplex Audio Device
Manufacturer Microsoft
Status OK
PNP Device ID MODEMWAVE\0\{40C976DC-41A9-4ED5-87E0-D3DDE54AB191}
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\modemcsa.sys (5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-114, 15.75 KB (16,128 bytes), 11/10/2002 12:39 PM)
[Conflicts/Sharing]
Resource Device
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)
IRQ 5 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)
IRQ 5 VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter
IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 11 VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)
IRQ 11 HSP56 MR
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)
[Memory]
Resource Device Status
0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus OK
0xA0000-0xBFFFF VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller OK
0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation) OK
0xC0000-0xDFFFF PCI bus OK
0x10000000-0xFFDFFFFF PCI bus OK
0xFEE01000-0xFFDFFFFF PCI bus OK
0xDDE00000-0xDFEFFFFF VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller OK
0xCDC00000-0xDDCFFFFF VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller OK
0xE0000000-0xE3FFFFFF VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller OK
0xDE000000-0xDEFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation) OK
0xD0000000-0xD7FFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation) OK
0xDFFFFF00-0xDFFFFFFF VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter OK
Hmmm, btw how long do you wait? It could be that the kernel is wrong with it's fbdev (graphical text console) device settings, but that X will start correctly.Originally Posted by cozzy
Have you tried knoppix vga=normal?
What kind of motherboard do you use? If you don't know you could install Sisoft Sandra and let it detect it.
I sifted though the CheatCodes again, adn I think you could also try this:
If you have an old (VGA) monitor and get only flickering with the defaults, try "knoppix-txt xvrefresh=60" or "fb800x600"

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$157.93
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00
Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX
$89.95
Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00
Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00
Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99
IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00
Vintage IBM #192726 Paper Tape Punch Mainframe Computer Programming Tool 1960s
$135.65