-
CD drive unavailable ...
I installed Knoppix 4.0 for a friend and it looks like the CD was badly connected at the time of install (wrong jumpers set). Somehow (however) the install ran through fine and everything (apart from the CD is working fine).
Now I am trying to clear the problem but find that I cannot get the system to talk to the CD:
I can see the CD declared at boot (Knoppix script) and I can see the cd (/dev/hdc) when I open qtparted but the CD doesn't appear in BIOS settings and also is not available from KDE:
When I click on the standard CD icon I get the message:
"Commnd not available: The file or directory file:///mnt/cdrom does not exist"
But when I look in /mnt/cdrom I see a shortcut with the properties saying it points to: /mnt/auto/cdrom ... which seems normal.
I then tried to create a new icon and found that a device /dev/cdrom (/cdrom) was available for selection. However, after creating the icon then, when I tried to open the device I got the following:
"Drive couldn't be attached. The error was: mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block- orietated device"
Does anyone have an idea for me here? Indeed, I believe that during installation, I confused the system and now, even though the CD is now available, it is having trouble linking it in.
But I believe that there must be a script that I can change to get the system to talk to the CD.
Any tips would be a great help for me as I am not sure whether I should correct this in the BIOS or in Knoppix/Debian. Or whether I should check to see if any connections/settings are (still) wrong (but I don't think so).
I just hope that I don't have to re-install.
Many thanks for any tips that you can give me.
Regards,
Alan Searle
Similar Threads
-
By pagheca in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-03-2006, 11:55 PM
-
By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
-
By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 19
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
-
By JoDaY in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-13-2003, 04:01 PM
-
By maxidea in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-03-2003, 05:06 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573)
$149.00

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI
$195.00

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99

*Sophos XG 210 Rev. 3 Network Security Firewall Appliance* Sophos XG 210 Rev. 3
$64.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU
$99.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99

Unfi Security Gateway Pro
$170.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99