-
Administrator
Site Admin-
dannyboy, here's your help, particularly a good choice with that healthly "no harm if it doesn't work" additude. And in case you are wondering the above link came from here.
-
I'm back and I just finished my ZipSlack problem. So i suggest you use ZipSlack, this is a Slackware variant from slackware.com and it's nice since you can run it from DOS mode, and yes witouth changing the filesystem, fat32 shall remain. I maintained my Windows 98 SE for future uses that I don't know yet, just in case.
Get all files that you need first before installing ZipSlack.
Get zipzlack.zip and probably fourmeg.zip(for increasing swap if system ram is 4 MB, it increases to 8MB). Get X11 and other X11 components from ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar...e/slackware/x/ . Read the faq.txt from zipslaxk.ztp for installation instructions. You may be editing your windows config.sys and msdos.sys , but I don't quite understand it anyways.
After installation of ZipSlack(just plain unzipping to c:\ anyways), I restarted windows to MS-DOS mode and then went to c:\linux then activated loadlin.exe (i don't know why, but if i skipped this part it starts anyways) then typed "linux" in the prompt and voila linux starts! And now it's up to you on the X11 installations...unless you post it i will be happy to share my experience.
Hi Harry may I say "YaiKz!!!" my WinBook does not do netinstall, it has no modem and CD-ROM nor a floppy drive, tsk!
But that link I will save it for my other Pentium Desktops, they are in dust right now, I will resurrect them with your link for a tryout.
Salamat po kaayo! Thank you very much! Encouragement from gurus are best than their detailed instructions.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
dannyboy
Hi Harry may i say "YaiKz!!!" my WinBook does not do netinstall, it has no modem and CD-ROM nor a floppy drive, tsk!
That's pretty much going to crimp the ability to install most things on it, as well as run Knoppix. At some point you have to consider if the hardware is worth the trouble, and this seems like one of these point. I'm not clear on how you install much of anything to it.
-
I got FastLynx version 2.0 (free download, i googled it)like Laplink using parallel cable. I transfered the needed files from an internet connected PC to the WinBookLM thru FastLynx version 2.0 and it works fine. Just run the software on both systems and voila, trasfer!
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
dannyboy
I got FastLynx version 2.0 (free download, i googled it)like Laplink using parallel cable. I transfered the needed files from an internet connected PC to the WinBookLM thru FastLynx version 2.0 and it works fine. Just run the software on both systems and voila, trasfer!
Yea, I used some technology like that back in the last millenium . But without a floppy, modem, CD drive or, I assume, a network card, just getting the FastLynx software on that WinBook could be an issue. But at least you're getting some use out of the old hardware.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Good thing FastLynx can upload itself from my Desktop PC to the WinBook thru it's "upload option" thru a serial cable or COM1 port. Try googling FastLynx version 2.0 , there's a website authorized by the authors of FastLynx to give it for free. This is so handy!
But this WinBook came with FastLynx in it already so I have not experienced uploading that. And I don't have a serial cable. So if all else fails, all devices not detected by linux, you can still transfer large amounts of files thru DOS. Then work your way thru DOS towards a totally Linux everything. I suggest maintain DOS while not yet sure if your troubles are done. I'd say delete Windows but not DOS.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-07-2005, 07:55 PM
-
By Sammy_Jankis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 11:04 AM
-
By gabe66 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-05-2003, 01:47 PM
-
By ivi in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-12-2003, 12:32 PM
-
By gaje in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Schlesinger 17" Leather Briefcase Classic Flap Whiskey Brown Attache EUC
$99.99

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage Compaq PS/2 Rack Keyboard 128958-001 Assembly 128710-001 SpaceSaver
$75.99

Vintage Apple 3.5 Drive A9M0106 External 800K Floppy IIgs Mac Tested Working
$124.99

Timberland Vintage Heavy Duty Brown Leather Messenger Satchel Crossbody Bag
$127.77

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster
$895.00

Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s
$169.99

Vintage 1976 Texas Instruments LCM-1002 Controller Module uP Learning w/ Box...
$219.50