Previously installed knoppix on HD. No problem
Installed Gentoo . Gentoo works fine but no longer able to boot knoppix.
All my attempts to edit menu.lst fail.
I do not seem to be able to specify which dev the real_root is on after the kernel is loaded.
initial hdd installation of knoppix lilo and fstab
boot=/dev/hda
root=.dev/hda1
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.6
label = "linux"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.6
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init
fstab (abridged by me)
/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,error=ro 0 1
#added by knoppix
/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 ext3 noauto 0 0
#added by knoppix
/dev/hda3 none swap defaults 0 0
after the gentoo install grub menu.lst is
grub
def 0
timeout 30
title gentoo
root (hd0.0)
kernel /boot/kernel<arch>
root=/dev/ram0
init=/linuxrc
intrd /boot/initramfs-gentoo
fstab
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hda5 none swap
/dev/hda6 / ext defaults
non /proc proc defaults
non /dev/shm tmpfs default
Ok. The problem not too clearly seen by me is:
I repartitioned the drive. Gentoo is on hda5/6
I think the knoppix swap is hda2
grub (hd0,00) seems to be where root originates prior to kernel loading; where real_root should be eludes me.
But then I am feeling a touch stupid at this point and hope the obvious is apparent to someone else.
the last edit I tried was (preceded by every variation I could think of)
title knoppix
root (hd0.0)
kernel(hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.6
ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init
initrd(hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.6
no matter what I then list as root=
/dev/hda1 or /dev/ram0
or anything else, the error codes 11, 15 or kernel panic occur. Unknown device or string, unrecognised string
Can anyone a. critique the menu.lst script above
b.tell me where the real_root should be?
thanks

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari 1010 Cassette Recorder/Player w/ Power Adapter For Parts/Repair Turns On
$25.00
Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS
$16.95
Atari 1200XL Home Computer, Tested Boots & Plays Cart, OEM PSU, Box - Read
$329.95
Vintage Atari 400/800 - Ms PacMan Galaxian BASIC Atari Writer Carts + Joystick
$38.88
Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord
$23.99
Atari 800 Home Computer 48K RAM In Original Box w/ Styro RF Switch Extra Games
$349.30
UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25