Ok, I've been attempting to install my wireless NIC's windows driver using ndiswrapper with mixed results for days. I'm running the latest knoppix debian distro and I love it. Just wish I could get my wirelessB NIC going. It's a truckstop.net brand NIC.
The first time I attempted to load the windows drivers I did the Win98 driver .inf load using:
ndiswrapper -i neti2120
As you can see the driver is loaded into memory.
root@laptop:~# ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:
neti2120 driver present, hardware present
After this I ran:
modprobe ndiswrapper
and my wireless NIC started blinking constantly like it does in windows when its up and working. I then tried to configure my security WEP key using the KNOPPIX wavelan configuration utitily. I just skipped most the sections since I didn't know what the utility was asking for. The only sections I filled out were the SSID section and the WEP key. That utility didn't work in getting my NICs WEP key installed. I even tried typing ifconfig wlan0 up and that failed to bring up the NIC.
I then tried to manually type the security settings into my card config using:
root@laptop:/etc/ndiswrapper/neti2120# iwconfig wlan0 key "KEY"
root@laptop:/etc/ndiswrapper/neti2120# iwconfig wlan0 channel 10
root@laptop:/etc/ndiswrapper/neti2120# ifconfig wlan0 up
Failed to bring it up again. Now when I boot into windows I can't get the NIC to constantly blink like the first time I tried getting it working. However, now it can do a iwlist wlan0 scan and it sees my wireless network as shown below. BTW, I did jump onto someone elses network the first time the NIC got going but can't anymore.
Cell 03 - Address: 00:11:XX:XX:FC:1X
ESSID:"ROCCO"
Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
Mode:Managed
Frequency:2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
Quality:0/100 Signal level:-59 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
Encryption keyn
Bit Rate:1 Mb/s
Bit Rate:2 Mb/s
Bit Rate:5.5 Mb/s
Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
Bit Rate:18 Mb/s
Bit Rate:24 Mb/s
Bit Rate:36 Mb/s
Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
Extra:bcn_int=100
Extra:atim=0
I've even tried to manually type my SSID and WEP key into a .conf file and that fails. If my wireless NIC can see my network and others using the iwlist cmd doesn't that mean I should be able to get it working? I already have this NIC's MAC addy added to my allowed MAC's on my router.
Here's my syslog:
Apr 20 08:38:06 laptop kernel: wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:04:db:00:d7:b1 using driver neti2120, configuration file 17FE:2120:17FE:2120.5.conf
Apr 20 08:38:06 laptop kernel: ndiswrapper (set_auth_mode:517): setting auth mode failed (C0010015)
Apr 20 08:38:06 laptop kernel: wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP
Apr 20 08:38:06 laptop kernel: ndiswrapper (set_essid:5: setting essid failed (00010003)
So, apparently it's loading the 17FE:2120:17FE:2120.5.conf file.. I don't remember which .conf file I added my stmts into but it wasn't this one. Can someone tell me what I should type into these fields for my wireless B (11Mbps) card on channel 10? And where I would add my WEP key line into this file? And do I add my wireless routers MAC into the mac_address? This very well might be my problem. Appreciate any/all help. TBH
root@laptop:/etc/ndiswrapper/neti2120# cat 17FE:2120:17FE:2120.5.conf
NdisVersion|0x50001
Environment|1
BusType|5
mac_address|XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
ndis_version|INPROCOMM,06/17/2003,2.19.06.2003
BssType|1
FragThreshold|2346
IbssBasicRateSet|15
IbssChannel|11
Rate|15
RtsThreshold|2347
Ssid|
networkaddress|
Also, iwconfig currently shows.
wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSIDff/any
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Bit Rate:1 Mb/s Tx-Power:17 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Encryption keyff
Power Managementff
Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:56/154 Noise level:0/154
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:615 Missed beacon:0

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03
$15.00
Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99
Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch
$175.00