Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: qtparted, cfdisk and resizing ntfs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3

    qtparted, cfdisk and resizing ntfs

    Hello,

    I'm new in the Linux world and I recently tried to non-destructively resize my single NTFS partition into 2 smaller partitions so I could install Linux and a Linux swap file. I read a bunch of different things online that said 2 different things. Some said what I tried is not possible, others said it was and without defragmenting. So, I found some instructions for qtparted and followed them using a Knoppix 3.8 live CD and it didn't work, all it did was destroy my Windows installation (luckily I backed everything up.) I then read Knoppix doesn't have a good version of qtparted and that I should use a live cd that is specific for just qtparted, I don't remember the exact name or anything though. So, can you successfully and non-destructively resize an NTFS partition using qtparted or not and will you need to defragment first? Some say you can so what did I do wrong?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    You could try GParted-LiveCD from http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php.
    It's 30MB LiveCD meant for easy partition-editing, and claims to be able to resize NTFS-partitions.

    I don't know if you need to defragment first or not.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3
    Hello,

    Thanks for the reply. GParted was the name of the program I couldn't think of in my earlier post. I tried it twice and both times it worked perfectly. My next question is why didn't QTParted on the Knoppix 3.8 CD work? I wonder if GParted is programmed completely different? Any ideas?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by rmart0729
    GParted was the name of the program I couldn't think of in my earlier post...... My next question is why didn't QTParted on the Knoppix 3.8 CD work? I wonder if GParted is programmed completely different? Any ideas?
    gparted and qtparted are completely different things. Qtparted (and many others) are pratitioning programs that are intended to create and manage partitions on a hard disk. gparted is a recovery tool that is used to examine a disk where the partition table has beel lost, corrupted or overwritten and, by examining the contents on the rest of the disk, try to recreate the original partition table. Of course, there may be other programs on a Live CD that has been named after gparted, but that is not what you asked.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3

    Thanks

    Hello,

    Wow, thanks for the input. I'm glad I found this program (GParted) and I hope I have more success in learning about Linux.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Just a quick thought. You might be better off organizing partitions when installiing Windows in the first place. You can specify the size of the partition you wish to install it to and leave some space open for other use. You mentioned ruining the Windows install, so it's easy to do if you intend to re-install it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    gparted and qtparted are completely different things. Qtparted (and many others) are pratitioning programs that are intended to create and manage partitions on a hard disk. gparted is a recovery tool that is used to examine a disk where the partition table has beel lost, corrupted or overwritten and, by examining the contents on the rest of the disk, try to recreate the original partition table. Of course, there may be other programs on a Live CD that has been named after gparted, but that is not what you asked.
    That is not correct - I think you mixed up "gpart" and "gparted".

    gpart is the program to "guess PC-type hard disk partitions" http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/
    GParted is "Gnome Partition Editor" http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

    So GParted is similar to QtParted http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/

    Both QtParted and GParted claims to be able to resize NTFS, if proper additional programs are installed.

    With GParted-LiveCD http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php you can be sure that all needed programs are installed, which is why I like it.
    It's also updated quite often, so likely to include newer program-versions than Knoppix.

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by malaire
    That is not correct - I think you mixed up "gpart" and "gparted".
    Yes I did, thanks for thec correction.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Posts
    8
    another very easy way is:

    get in windows, defrag the volume, grab a copy of partition manager software and use it.. it is extremely easily to use and it works with no loss of data.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Williamson, NY (Near Rochester)
    Posts
    4
    Thanks, guys for the info in this thread. I recently had a NTFS resize attempt that did not work, and although I'm still not quite sure what happened, this GParted-LiveCD sounds interesting. I'm probably going to get it for the future, and, of course, try it first on a computer where there's no risk to data. If anybody feels like going to my post at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24517, I would appreciate it. I'm only curious as to what went wrong in my case.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem resizing SATA disc partition with parted / qtparted
    By duncang in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 01:18 PM
  2. QtParted Resizing Qs
    By downdogWoof in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 09:46 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 01:38 AM
  4. Problem resizing NTFS partition (bad sectors?)
    By dtopper in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 08:43 AM
  5. Resizing FAT 32 with Qtparted - hdinstall problem
    By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 01:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro E200-8D Xeon D-1528 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 2x10GbE X10SDV-6C-TLN4F w/ PSU picture

Supermicro E200-8D Xeon D-1528 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 2x10GbE X10SDV-6C-TLN4F w/ PSU

$525.00



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 1U Server 5019C-WR X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 3.8Ghz 32GB RAM M.2 NVME   X picture

Supermicro 1U Server 5019C-WR X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 3.8Ghz 32GB RAM M.2 NVME X

$369.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00