-
Help needed on using dd
I am new to Linux and am currently trying to copy / clone a hard drive with an XP OS to another.
The source drive shows up as hda1
The destination drive is an IDE on a USB adapter and shows up as sda. It has some old data on it which I assume will be overwritten.
Both drives are 20.4Gb
I believe I need to use "dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda" to clone the drive.
I have gone to run and typed BASH.
I then typed su
I then typed the command shown above. The hard drive light pulses 1 or 2 times a seconds. After about 12 hours the command had not finished. I cancelled the operation and checked the destination drive in Linux. Nothing had changed on it.
Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?
Similar Threads
-
By mostafa_dahir in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-11-2006, 05:29 PM
-
By BNU-FaNtAsMa in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-22-2004, 11:06 PM
-
By ryansanders2002 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-19-2004, 07:47 PM
-
By junior in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-08-2003, 05:41 AM
-
By akira28 in forum Networking
Replies: 9
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE
$450.00

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX
$89.95

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00