Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Can Knoppix Install a Kernel which supports Dual Core?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9

    Can Knoppix Install a Kernel which supports Dual Core?

    Hello:

    I want to use the Knoppix 5.01 CD as a way of installing debian on my new computer which is an Intel Pentium D 3.0 GHz Dual Core 64 bit system.

    My questions

    Will Knoppix sense the dual core and install a kernel which supports SMP processing?.

    Or will Knoppix install a single processor kernel when I install debian? Then I would have to upgrade the kernel from debian.

    Thanks for your help with this.

    Kind regards,

    Angelo

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    5.01 is not out, so it's hard for anyone to say with any certanity what will be there. (5.0 isn't officially released on the Internet and the newest I've used is 4.0.2)

    Dual CPU support should already be there though. Have you tried booting Knoppix? How many penguins do you see when your system boots?

    64 bit support is NOT there. So if you are really concerned about getting good performance from your 64 bit hardware, I would look at installing the 64 bit version of Debian Etch, not Knoppix which is 32 bits.

    Quote Originally Posted by rossi
    Or will Knoppix install a single processor kernel when I install debian? Then I would have to upgrade the kernel from debian.
    If you want Debian, install Debian. Knoppix is not Debian. Knoppix is based on Debian, but many other Distros are too, and they are not Debian either. Even after "installing" to hard disk Knoppix will never be Debian, at best it will be sorta Debian like, at worst it will be broken.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    It will probably work as is but only in 32bit mode. I believe that the default knoppix kernel is compiled with SMP enabled for i386 32bit. I have booted Knoppix 4.02 DVD on a Dell Precision workstation with 2 Pentium Xeon 3.6 GHz and it showed the original 2 in the bios and a total of 4 at Knoppix bootup due to HyperThreading.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9
    Hello:

    Thank you for your replies. It's Knoppix V 5.0 that I have. Don't ask why I wrote Knoppix V5.1.

    After I sent the reply, I did boot Knoppix and saw the two penguins. dmesg | grep -i cpu showed two cpus. The top command did as well.

    I want Debian at the end. I thought Knoppix would be a good way to bootstrap me into Debian. I guess I wanted an easy way to get to Debian.

    I know this is not a Debian forum, but can you tell me if the new debian installer will grab a kernel with Dual CPU 64 bit support ?

    Thanks so much for your help.

    Kind regards,

    Angelo

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    You pick the hardware platform of your choice when you download the net-install (or CD #1) ISO. If you use the i386 version you will not get 64 bit support; if you use the 64 bit ISO you will. I don't have a dual core system but I believe dual core support will be in the default kernel.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    64
    I don't have a 64bit system to try, but my older 32bit Xeon won't run Knoppix right.
    lockup 4.0.2 on dual Xeon HT Dell Precision 450 Workstation
    It boots fine, 4 penguins, single tasks fine, but it's very easy to lock it up.
    Test it before you trust it.
    (I have not tried Debian)

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 4.0 supports USB 2?
    By ctrchelp in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2006, 09:17 AM
  2. dual boot windows xp and knoppix - facing kernel panic error
    By javaneo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-07-2006, 06:13 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-20-2005, 10:39 AM
  4. OT - Fedore core 4 install problems
    By Ommadawn in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 09:20 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 03:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$32.00



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



Apple MAC SE/30 Computer M5119, Vintage, Logic & Analog boards + PSU Recapped picture

Apple MAC SE/30 Computer M5119, Vintage, Logic & Analog boards + PSU Recapped

$850.00



Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Analog Devices Macsym 2 Signal Simulator picture

Analog Devices Macsym 2 Signal Simulator

$220.00



1979 vintage apple II 2  keyboard Mod CV Control Analog Synthesizer Paia Buchla picture

1979 vintage apple II 2 keyboard Mod CV Control Analog Synthesizer Paia Buchla

$500.00



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



vintage internal ISA Dial-Up Modem from the Accura 28.8 series. 5617us picture

vintage internal ISA Dial-Up Modem from the Accura 28.8 series. 5617us

$29.99



Vintage HippoVision Video Digitizer Atari ST Hippopotamus Software Cartridge picture

Vintage HippoVision Video Digitizer Atari ST Hippopotamus Software Cartridge

$99.95