-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Ok that's cool

Originally Posted by
Whiplash41594
I must be missing something.
I guess what you are missing is the concept of a Live CD and the chance to evaluate a Linux operating system befor you install anything. Yea, If you run the Knoppix DVD the copy of Firefox there comes up without any of the bookmarks that you have in the windows copy. There are techniques to have a persistant home directory and save much of your settings to hard drive (not NTFS) or flash drive, but I have never had good results with that (others report they have).
The new version of Knoppix due out in just a couple of days is said to be able to write to NTFS, but I plan on being very cautious about that. I will not be one of the people posting that Knoppix ruined my NTFS partition.
The new version of Knoppix is also said to be suitable for hard disk install (in spite of the utilities to do so the older versions were not). Again, I approach this with caution, but more importantly even if the new version can be installed I don't know that it should be installed. I see absolutely no advantage in installing Knoppix to hard disk over installing debian to hard disk and then using apt-get to install the same applications that are included in Knoppix that I want, but leaving out any applications that I will never use (and there are a lot on the DVD that I will never use).
So for me Knoppix is a great way to carry around a Live CD or DVD and be able to run software on any computer. And it's a great way to try Linux on a system before installing. But if I want Linux on a computer with browser bookmarks and everything then I'll install Debian on that system. And when installing Firefox in that case I believe I can even import my bookmarks from the Windows system.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50