Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Audacity

  1. #1
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Audacity

    This is just an observation, it might help to explain why so many people are still using Windows.

    I use the audio recording and editing program Audacity. It's a really nice open source program available for both Linux and Windows.

    I've typically used this on my desktop and notebook computer, mostly my HP notebook, under Windows98 on the desktop and XP on the notebook. It works great. One of the features of this program is that you can record a track of audio and then go back and record another track of audio. Audacity is able to play back the tracks together, allowing you to edit each track individually, adjust the volume individually and so on. You can do this for many tracks. Works great. Under Windows that is.

    I fired up the Knoppix 5.0.1 DVD. As past versions of Knoppix, it recognized the sound system in my notebook just fine and played the familiar "Inniating startup sequence" sound. I fired up audacity and recorded a few seconds of sound. It played back just fine. Of course, as long as the mic hardware was detected I would expect this of an open source package available for both Linux and Windows when run under Linux. But then I recorded a second track in parallel to the first. When I play the two tracks back together, the first track plays properly, but the second track plays about an octave lower than it should. Not slower, the second track keeps up with the first track in time, it's just an octave lower than it should be! And this is apparently something that happened in the recording process, not the playback process, since I can delete the first track and just play back the seond track and it is still an octaive lower. And let me state again that this is the same program running on the same hardware that works fine under Windows XP.

    Before anyone points out that Audacity has an "effect" that will change the pitch of a track, I did try this edit to the bad track, it improved the track somewhat, but there is still a big quality loss and something not quite righ about the track (maybe it wasn't exactly an octave off in the first place, it still sounds a bit low after the transformation). And this clearly should not need to be done.

    So like many things with Linux I'm left poking and proding and trying to figure out why I can't use a tool that I know and completely expected to work. This may or may not be a problem related to Knoppix, but it certainly seems like a Linux related problem. Anyone have any insight on what it is? Or how I should go about tracking it down?

    It is things like this that cause me to use both systems; although I would cerainly like to ditch Windows completely before Vista gets here, I don't see how I can.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    It's always a frustration when something that used to work doesn't.

    That said, it is not unusual for a new version of an operating system
    to break applications that ran on the previous version, particularly if
    there have been major changes of any sort. Windows changes regularly
    break applications. Vista is going to break a lot of applications. Apple's
    operating system changes have broken applications. I've seen people
    scrambling to fix shell scripts when Unix upgrades included changes to
    shell languages.

    My strategy would be to stick with the version of the operating system that
    works with your applications until either the os or the application are
    upgraded to where they work together.

    By the way your observation regarding poking and prodding and trying to figure
    out how to make something work rang true here. I spent more than a month
    getting Knoppix to access the internet with persistent configurations
    (for example, nothing I'd read had said that the configuration disk needed
    to be linux formatted.) And now I'm poking and prodding and trying to
    figure out how to transfer large files back and forth between Knoppix and
    Windows while preserving the security of the Windows machine (which due
    to its vulnerabilities never goes online.) I'm considering the CD burner.
    In any case...

    Regards

    Django

    PS: Once I get secure internet access nailed down I plan to experiment
    with the Linux audio applications. I'm a long time Cakewalk user (currently
    Sonar 3) but I think Vista has the potential to break a lot of applications
    and introduce a lot of instability. We shall see.

Similar Threads

  1. no sound card 3.8 audacity
    By plener in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 07:11 PM
  2. ALSA Audacity via82xx sample rate @ 48k not 44.1k?
    By stukennedyuk in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 04:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$32.00



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Apple MAC SE/30 Computer M5119, Vintage, Logic & Analog boards + PSU Recapped picture

Apple MAC SE/30 Computer M5119, Vintage, Logic & Analog boards + PSU Recapped

$850.00



Analog Devices Macsym 2 Signal Simulator picture

Analog Devices Macsym 2 Signal Simulator

$220.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



1979 vintage apple II 2  keyboard Mod CV Control Analog Synthesizer Paia Buchla picture

1979 vintage apple II 2 keyboard Mod CV Control Analog Synthesizer Paia Buchla

$500.00



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



vintage internal ISA Dial-Up Modem from the Accura 28.8 series. 5617us picture

vintage internal ISA Dial-Up Modem from the Accura 28.8 series. 5617us

$29.99



RARE VINTAGE Kontron 80 Psi Compact Microcomputer Computer Germany Early 1980s picture

RARE VINTAGE Kontron 80 Psi Compact Microcomputer Computer Germany Early 1980s

$319.99