Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: encrypting SWAP by default

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    2

    encrypting SWAP by default

    I see that some time ago someone released a version of Knoppix 3.2 that would among other things encrypt the swap drive (http://www.bouissou.net/knoppix-mib/...oppix-Mib.html). In the current verson of knoppix, is there an easy way to do this? I use an encrypted persistent home on a USB stick, but when I'm running on any box that has a swap partition, I know I'm leaving clear-text data behind.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: encrypting SWAP by default

    --One way to do this is disable all type 82 partitions (swap) and comment them in /etc/fstab.

    --Then create an encrypted filesystem, and also create a swapfile on that FS after mounting it:

    [ insert cryptoloop instructions here ]

    ' mount blah /mnt/encrypted -odefaults,rw,noatime '

    ' cd /mnt/encrypted '
    ' time dd if=/dev/zero of=swapcrypt.swp bs=1M count=64 ' == Create 64MB zero-file
    ' chmod 700 swapcrypt.swp ' == Make sure only root can read it
    ' mkswap swapcrypt.swp ' == Make it into a swap area
    ' swapon swapcrypt.swp ' == Activate it
    ' swapon -s ' == Check it

    --That said, see these links:

    ( Search for " Debian " on this page )
    http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheO...tionalSecurity

    http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...08.0/1163.html

    http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermai...ch/002819.html

    http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/harden...yptography.xml


    --I'm pretty sure OpenBSD has encrypted swap, if not by default then at least as an option.


    Quote Originally Posted by g4j
    I see that some time ago someone released a version of Knoppix 3.2 that would among other things encrypt the swap drive (http://www.bouissou.net/knoppix-mib/...oppix-Mib.html). In the current verson of knoppix, is there an easy way to do this? I use an encrypted persistent home on a USB stick, but when I'm running on any box that has a swap partition, I know I'm leaving clear-text data behind.

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. swap partition?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2007, 06:26 PM
  2. Swap Partitions
    By Kowood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 07:57 PM
  3. Auto encrypting USB Flash disk.
    By jj54 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 08:16 PM
  4. swap question
    By sirmax in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 11:21 PM
  5. Configuring Swap
    By CubeDweller in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-26-2003, 08:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE picture

DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE

$450.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00