Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Two interconnected issues

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    5

    Two interconnected issues

    Hi all,

    I'm a new user (the past 12 hours) of Knoppix, and I'm trying to sort out an issue. I am able to log in as root in a command line, but not in KDE. I successfully set up a root password for KDE (when i try to access user settings it prompts for it and it works) but I cannot log in as root. I need to have root access in order to extract my firmware update to the /lib/firmware folder... I believe. Is there any way to get it to work?

    The problem this has stemmed from is that, like others i've noticed in this forum, I'm using an Intel 2200bg wireless adapter, and I'm unable to get it to work. The Device Manager recognizes it, but when I attempt to set it up it says that there's no wireless card detected (using Wavelan) which leads me to believe it's a driver problem...

    So in short, does anyone know what I need to do to correct these issues? I know that the first one is a necessity, and probably a necessity to solve the 2nd one. I figure that once I get my wireless up and running in Knoppix any other problems that may present themselves will be researchable from that end, rather than having to boot back and forth between XP and Linux each time something goes wrong...

    Thanks everyone,

    Bri

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    5
    nobody? I'd really like to figure this out and I'm having no luck on my own.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if you type
    Code:
    sudo konqueror&
    in a console you will get root acess to the filemanager, use that to go to your file rightclick on it and choose extract...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by OErjan
    if you type
    Code:
    sudo konqueror&
    in a console you will get root acess to the filemanager, use that to go to your file rightclick on it and choose extract...
    Thank you very much. I'll try this out after work tomorrow, and hopefully have my wireless up and running by Saturday... thanks again, I really do appreciate it.

    Bri

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    5
    UPDATE:

    I used THIS process to get the card up and running:

    (after copying the firmware to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/)

    "Thanks, I copied the firmware version 3.0 from the ipw2200.sf.net , and copied them to the mentioned directory.

    Then I proceed onto the following steps in a root shell...

    1. modprobe -r ipw2200
    2. modprobe ipw2200
    3. ifconfig eth1 up
    4. netcardconfig

    After the DHCP is configured with netcardconfig, it started to work.

    I'm writing this from my net connected Knoppix 5.01 !

    Cool !

    Isao"

    And it worked... I saveconfig'd it, then rebooted the system... the OTHER configuration changes I had made were saved, but during the boot sequence the system mentioned one knoppix.sh file having an error or some issue with line 11, and then told me that eth2 failed to load (which is my wireless connection)

    When I rename the knoppix.sh file the problem goes away... along with all of my configuration changes... I tried to redo the process with the same configuration and it failed on me, so i went back to my previous config (from a few days ago) and tried it... it worked, but then when i rebooted, same issue; it appears to be an issue with the knoppix.sh file, which I'm sure is a file saved by the configuration, but I don't recall seeing that file BEFORE I configured the wireless card...

    any ideas as to what is going on and how i can remedy it? I've made great strides today, but I can't have the configuration of my wireless be a recurring issue, there's gotta be a way to get it to work correctly...

    any takers?

    Thank you for everything,

    Bri

Similar Threads

  1. HDD issues
    By matt houston in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 04:19 PM
  2. 3.1 issues
    By _paul in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 01:38 PM
  3. Fax Issues...
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 03:40 PM
  4. apt issues
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 05:13 AM
  5. A few issues
    By rushworld in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 03:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver

$4.99



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



5 x Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S 10GBASE SFP Module converter w/ Genuine Hologram 🔥New🔥 picture

5 x Cisco SFP-10G-LR-S 10GBASE SFP Module converter w/ Genuine Hologram 🔥New🔥

$174.99