Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Hard Drive Locked Up

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4

    Hard Drive Locked Up

    So, the other day my computer locked and I had to shut it down manually. Long story short...whenver I start my computer now it goes to this screen that basically says something got seriously messed up and my computer can't start. I should probably note that I have Windows XP. I downloaded Knoppix onto a Cd and have been booting it from there like is supposed to happen. My idea was that I would be able to delete the file(s) that was corrupting my computer, or at least transfer all my files that I need then completely nuke my system and start from scratch, but I now have a new problem: I can't modify/delete any of my files. Whenever I go to delete a file, Knoppix says it can't do it. I have set hd1 so it is not read-only and can be written on by all users, but that didn't work. Also, I went to sendthisfile.com, but when I go to browse for my files to upload them, Knoppix will not allow me to go down a level from hd1, so I can't access any of my files. If this makes sense to anyone and they want to help me, that would be awesome. If it doesn't make any sense, I will be more than happy to answers questions so I can hopefully find an answer. Thank you so much in advance.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    NO, not viable with XP. See answer #6.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Hard Drive Locked Up

    Quote Originally Posted by piq29
    ...or at least transfer all my files that I need then completely nuke my system and start from scratch, ....
    That you can do, assumong that you have some non-NTFS device to transfer them too (and that none are 4 gig or larger, which would make then too large for a FAT partition). Again, see answer #6.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for your help, Harry. Would you by any chance know of an OS that is bootable from a CD that I can use to delete or modify files?

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    There is a bootable version of Windows called BartPE (Bill Gates would not approve, even though a big use of it is to fix Windows from it's all too common "I've fallen and I can't get up" problem). There are rumors that the new Knoppix 5.0.1 may be able to write to NTFS, but I a long way from trusting that yet.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hessen, DE
    Posts
    24

    Re: Hard Drive Locked Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by piq29
    ...or at least transfer all my files that I need then completely nuke my system and start from scratch, ....
    That you can do, assumong that you have some non-NTFS device to transfer them too (and that none are 4 gig or larger, which would make then too large for a FAT partition). Again, see answer #6.
    Well, either a non-NTFS disk, or he could burn the files to CD/DVD, or copy them to an NFS/Samba share, or upload to any server (big bandwith would come in handy

    Shouldn't be a problem.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4
    Thanks a lot for your help, guys. I ended up sending all of my important files to another computer. For anyone wanting to know how to do this: Open "Home" from the toolbar on the bottom of the screen. In the address bar, where it says /home/knoppix , type smb://Name of the Other Computer and go to a shared folder. So now that I have my files backed-up, I need to delete Windows XP from my computer so I can reinstall it. Do you guys know how to do this? I've been researching for the whole day now, and I'm not any closer than when I started.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    You want to completely delete the windows stuff?
    Boot up knoppix and then open a konsole command line window.
    IN that window:
    sudo cfdisk /dev/hda

    Then use cfdisk to delete the windows partition and then save the new settings by doing "Write" then Quit.
    This will allow you to reinstall windows without it detecting the previous installation.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4
    Sweet. I finally got it to work. UnderScore, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I ended up deleting the partition and comletely reinstalling Windows. Thank you to everybody who helped me. Your help was invaluable.

Similar Threads

  1. Copying from an internal hard drive to a USB thumb drive
    By bagmonkey in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2008, 04:50 AM
  2. Locked out from persistent image during test drive
    By tjashmore in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2007, 06:05 PM
  3. Copying hard drive to hard drive new to linux
    By husalah5150 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
  4. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  5. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99