I'm about to begin a remaster of the CD release of 5.0.1, was curious if anyone has remastered 5.0.1 yet and discovered any potential gotchas with this new release that differ from the remaster from menu based scripts howto.
Thanks
I'm about to begin a remaster of the CD release of 5.0.1, was curious if anyone has remastered 5.0.1 yet and discovered any potential gotchas with this new release that differ from the remaster from menu based scripts howto.
Thanks
You need to pay attention to the modules subdirectory, which is new. A script to get the source onto your HD follows. Run it as user knoppix, while you are running knoppix.
Code:#!/bin/bash # 1-CopySourceForRemaster copy the CD to HD for remastering PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin" export PATH XDIALOG_HIGH_DIALOG_COMPAT=1 export XDIALOG_HIGH_DIALOG_COMPAT # Get root [ "`id -u`" != "0" ] && exec sudo "$0" "$@" TMP="/tmp/saveconfig.tmp$$" bailout(){ rm -f "$TMP" "$TMP.done" "$TMP.err" echo "" echo "Done" exit 0 } DIALOG="dialog" [ -n "$DISPLAY" ] && [ -x /usr/bin/Xdialog ] && DIALOG="Xdialog" trap bailout 1 2 3 15 # LANGUAGE etc. [ -f /etc/sysconfig/knoppix ] && . /etc/sysconfig/knoppix [ -z "$LANG" ] && export LANG [ -z "$LANGUAGE" ] && export LANGUAGE [ -z "$CHARSET" ] && export CHARSET DESKTOPKB="$(du -sk $HOME/Desktop 2>/dev/null | awk '{print $1}')" TITLE1="ParallelKnoppix: Copy source to HD for remastering" MESSAGE1="Select a hard disk partition on which the source should be copied. A directory called parallel_knoppix_remaster will be created at the root level of that partition. Which partition would you like to use? (about 2GB free space is needed)" ERROR="That didn't work!" # Directory selector PARTITIONS="" for i in `awk '/^\/dev\/[hs]d[a-z].*\/media\/[hs]d[a-z]/{if(!/ntfs/){print $2}}' /etc/fstab`; do PARTITIONS="$PARTITIONS ${i} [Disk/Partition] off" done rm -f "$TMP" Xdialog --clear --title "$TITLE1" --radiolist "$MESSAGE1" 18 75 9 $PARTITIONS 2>"$TMP" || bailout ParKnoppixPART="$(<$TMP)" [ -z "$ParKnoppixPART" -o ! -e "$ParKnoppixPART" ] && bailout # mount the partition requested rm -f "$TMP.err" mount | grep -q "$ParKnoppixPART" || mount -r "$ParKnoppixPART" >"$TMP.err" [ "$?" != "0" ] && { $DIALOG --title "$TITLE1" --msgbox "$ERROR `cat $TMP.err`" 10 75; bailout; } mount | grep -q "$ParKnoppixPART.*ntfs" && { $DIALOG --title "$TITLE1" --msgbox "$ERROR NTFS" 10 75; bailout; } mount -o remount,rw "$ParKnoppixPART" # create the ParKnoppixPART, etc mkdir $ParKnoppixPART/parallel_knoppix_remaster export ParKnoppixDIR=$ParKnoppixPART/parallel_knoppix_remaster # get rid of old, if it exists rm -R -f $ParKnoppixDIR # copy the new mkdir $ParKnoppixDIR mkdir $ParKnoppixDIR/source mkdir $ParKnoppixDIR/source/KNOPPIX mkdir $ParKnoppixDIR/master mkdir $ParKnoppixDIR/master/KNOPPIX mkdir $ParKnoppixDIR/master/boot cp -a /cdrom/boot/ $ParKnoppixDIR/master/ cp -a /cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules $ParKnoppixDIR/master/KNOPPIX cp -Rp /KNOPPIX/* $ParKnoppixDIR/source/KNOPPIX echo "Finish configuring desktop, then reboot normal distro" echo "and proceed to chroot activities" # final report SUCCESS="OK, the Knoppix source is now on the HD, ready for remastering" $DIALOG --title "$TITLE1" --msgbox "$SUCCESS" 12 65 bailout
Thanks for the script.
Can you elaborate a little more as to when to execute the script? Normally what I do is boot knoppix 2, then at the prompt, mount my HD partition, and wget the latest menu scripts from: debian.tu-bs.de "remaster 0.1-6.tar.gz" untar, and then execute the ./knoppix-remaster script.
Is what you provided a replacement to that script? or something that needs to be done in addition to this step?
Thanks.
This script is to be run while you are booted up in Knoppix. It's a replacement for the other script you mention, and it's not necessarily better. It does work with Knoppix 5.0.1, though. The only new thing is the modules directory, this will probably be taken care of in the scripts you usually use, if it hasn't been done already. You can see how I use my script at http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/Parallel...dvanced_topics
mcree,
I dropped in on your website and attempted to see how you use the script.
The Script you attached appears to be only a small part of the RE-master process.
I was unable to see the rest of the process. Can you elaberate?
Your post saysDoes that mean Live CD?.. to be run while booted up in Knoppix
kantana,
I also looked at the remaster 0.1-6 script. I grabbed and installed the .deb version of the script. After working with it for awhile I was unable to generate an iso file.
It may be that I am going at it the wrong way. I am trying to create a CD of a system that has been installed to HD. I have been able to remaster Knoppix 3.7 without any problems. I have been using and older version of the remaster script, which doesn't look anything like this latest one.
Thanks.
That script above is meant to be used while running the live CD, not after a HD install. It only gets the source for the remaster onto your hard disk. You need to do chroot activities, etc., from your normal distro. The ParallelKnoppix CD uses this script and 2 others to do remastering. The second takes care of chroot, and the 3rd creates the ISO image. I guess that the more general purpose scripts take care of all of this now. M.
Thanks for your reply.
I have been approching this from the other end, from the HD install.
Out of curiosity, I dropped in @ OSS Watch and looked over their How-to use Knoppix-Remaster. http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources...ixremaster.xml
I think that I'll give the Remaster from Live CD a try.

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95
Atari 1010 Cassette Recorder/Player w/ Power Adapter For Parts/Repair Turns On
$25.00
Atari SX212 Modem for IBM-Compatible Systems w/ Power Adapter & Manuals NOS
$125.00
A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS
$16.95
Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord
$23.99
Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00
Atari 1200XL Home Computer, Tested Boots & Plays Cart, OEM PSU, Box - Read
$329.95
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29