-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
spade
Sorry Harry, I can't understand your arguments.
To make mine very simple :
- I prefer LiveCD than LiveDVD because:
1/ faster to download
2/ faster to run
3/ benefit of LiveDVD not real
- Despite 2 releases of v5, the latest version which works on my PC is 4.x, which is a bit old considering kernel version (and all other packages)
- the concrete result is I use Mepis more than Knoppix
I think I'm not the only one to think that way, so if Linux TAG satisfaction has a bigger priority than users one, I think you are on the right track.
I agree with 1, but as long as a CD exists then I don't see how that is an issue, as people have the option to get the CD if that is what they want. Number 2 doesn't make much sense to me, I doubt that I could detect any difference on my systems. I don't agree with 3. That is not to say that I didn't get the 5.0.1 CD first, I did, and it will be the one that I put in my travel case so that I have a version of the new Knoppix when I hit a new machine that I desire to run it on (because CD is more universally usable than DVD still). But since one of the main reasons that Knoppix exists is a live bootable optical demo of Linux with no need to install anything, having more applications just makes sense. I really felt the loss as games vanished from the early Knoppix CDs to make way for software bloat, and games are a great way to introduce new users to a system (there are still games that are on the early Knoppix CD that are missing from the Knoppix DVD!)
I don't think that TAG is a higher priority than the users, and I never said that. But TAG commisioned the new 5.0 release and gave Klaus a deadline, so he gave them what he could at the deadline, bugs and all. And they wanted a DVD, they got a DVD. You seem to think that Knoppix should only exist as a CD because that fits your own narrow needs. But as bloat continues to eat away at the available CD space, there is less and less room for applications on the CD. The DVD has yet to be filled. It could easily include yet more applications. For example, a nice selection of the ham radio applications available for Linux could be included as well. This would make Knoppix a nice tool that Linux aware ham radio people could hand out to other hams, which would help spread knowledge of Linux through another group of technical people (yea, I've seen the ham radio remaster of Knoppix, but it isn't well done (at least not for us English speakers) and it lacks some of the utility of a General purpose Knoppix disc).
So I don't really see it as being an issue of the priority being the users or TAG, I see it more an issue of the priority being all potential people that Knoppix could introduce to Linux or your own restricted view of what you want. That isn't intended to be a flame, I just don't think you are looking at what both DVD and a CD release can do as opposed to only a CD release. And yes, there are bugs in this version, and I expect there will always be some bugs in any future version. This is unfortunate. But it would not have been prevented if the TAG DVD was never made. And it wasn't caused by the CD version being released a few hours after the DVD version of 5.0.1. I hope that you have reported the bug that you found to the official knopper.net site, and I hope that you did it without complaining that it occured because Klaus was trying to do too much without focusing on just your hardware.
Similar Threads
-
By ddp in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-09-2008, 08:52 AM
-
By Miszcz in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-02-2008, 07:13 PM
-
By Nick Levinson in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-20-2008, 10:30 PM
-
By god in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-05-2003, 10:09 AM
-
By crickett in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-02-2003, 02:03 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00

SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code
$108.09