Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Questions about saved config and persistent home

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    17

    Questions about saved config and persistent home

    I'm trying to get a grip on what's going on with these. Have lots of questions not adequately answered in FAQs or "Knoppix Hacks", etc.

    1) Apparently, saved configs have some options (personal, desktop) that save data that is contained entirely under /home, and other options (all the rest) that save data contained entirely outside it. True?

    2) Are these "personal" and "desktop" options under save configs, proper subsets of the data that is saved with a persistent home automatically, such that they are no longer needed if you've enabled persistent home? (Seems to follow if #1 is true.)

    3) If I have a persistent home created under, say, Knoppix 4.0.2, and then boot up Knoppix 5.0.1, will the latter read and use the data properly? That is, is all the configuration data, Konqueror bookmarks, and whatnot usable by the newer versions of the programs?

    4) I've already read that saved config data is not usable by the upgraded Knoppix, (mentioned on this thread), so if saved config data under /home is the problem, the answer to #3 must be no also. In that case, how does one upgrade one's home directory? Is it a big manual repair process for the config or other data like bookmarks?

    5) I'm guessing regular Knoppix programs, like Konqueror, save things under /home, right?

    6) Programs like Firefox do not, so Firefox bookmarks are not saved unless a replacement Firefox is installed under /home, right? And emails in Thunderbird, same way, right?

    I'll be back to ask more, probably...

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    Hi Paul

    As a result of my experiments I can give tentative answers to
    a few of your questions (of the so far so good variety).

    Using a persistent image does seem to be a superset of the
    myconfig and floppyconfig options.

    But I haven't found it necessary to reinstall Firefiox or Thunderbird
    to the home directory if I enable the home directory in the
    home option. I don't even seem to have to enable the system
    area option (which surprises me).

    The big discovery for me was that the config options and the
    home option appear to be mutually exclusive.

    No ideas on your other questions since I'm still running 4.0.2.

    Regards

    Django

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: Questions about saved config and persistent home

    I can answer these 2 questions:

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBx1
    5) I'm guessing regular Knoppix programs, like Konqueror, save things under /home, right?

    6) Programs like Firefox do not, so Firefox bookmarks are not saved unless a replacement Firefox is installed under /home, right? And emails in Thunderbird, same way, right?

    I'll be back to ask more, probably...
    Allmost everything saves things under /home, even Firefox and Thunderbird.

    If your username is "knoppix", then Firefox saves bookmarks to
    /home/knoppix/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/bookmarks.html
    where '*' is some random chars.

    I don't use Thunderbird, so I'm not 100% sure where it saves the emails, but I'd quess somewhere in /home/knoppix/.mozilla

Similar Threads

  1. What is saved in Persistent Home?
    By ammonman in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-25-2007, 10:29 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 05:36 AM
  3. 4.0.2 Firewall settings not saved in persistent home ?
    By Robert A. in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 01:51 PM
  4. Persistent Home dir Questions
    By downdogWoof in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 02:27 PM
  5. Persistent home directory and saved configurations
    By kayl in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 06:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


ATARI 400 NEW CAPS NEW 48K RAM KIT B-KEY KEYBOARD COLLECTOR QUALITY picture

ATARI 400 NEW CAPS NEW 48K RAM KIT B-KEY KEYBOARD COLLECTOR QUALITY

$359.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit picture

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit

$199.97



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95