-
I agree this should be simpler, but I did get Posmanet's procedure to work for me. I used this to compile some wifi modules and also the nvidia module. I did it slightly differently but it amounted to the same thing. I made the /usr/src/linux link point to the /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.17 folder and copied the contents of the existing /usr/src/linux-2.6.17 folder into linux-source-2.6.17, using Konqueror, overwriting all, instead of the other way around (less to copy). It works either way. Then I did the "make menuconfig" and exit, with errors, in /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.17 (=/usr/src/linux because I changed the linux link). I didn't do the following "make". Then I compiled several modules using module-assistant, for example to compile the nvidia module I just did a "m-a -k linux a-b nvidia-kernel", it downloaded what was necessary and left an installable deb package in /usr/src. I could have had it install the package as well, using "m-a -k linux a-i nvidia-kernel". I specified the kernel folder for module-assistant (m-a) to use explicitly with the -k option to avoid any problems with it trying to use the Knoppix headers. So here's what I did step by step, if it helps anyone:
su
apt-get update #make sure you're not in a package handler like synaptic or kpackage when you use apt
apt-get install linux-source-2.6.17 #This brought in version 2.6.17-8
exit
cd /usr/src
tar xjvf linux-source-2.6.17.tar.bz2
alias cp=cp #this removes prompting for overwrites, if doing the copying on the command line
cp -r linux-2.6.17/* linux-source-2.6.17/ #can also do this in a file manager
ln -s linux-source-2.6.17 linux
cd linux
make menuconfig #just exit and save the .config
cd ..
su
apt-get install module-assistant
m-a -k linux a-i nvidia-kernel #compiles an nvidia-kernel module, installs it and leaves the deb in /usr/src
m-a -k linux a-b madwifi #compiles an upgraded madwifi module
m-a -k linux a-b acx100 #compiles an acx100 wifi module (also need firmware)
etc.
Make sure your version of gcc matches the one used for the Knoppix 5.01 kernel. I had upgraded to gcc 4.1 and was getting "invalid module format" errors when loading the modules. I downgraded back to gcc 4.0.3-4 from http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2006/06/22/debian/ testing main repository and recompiled, then it worked. I downgraded g++ to the same version.
For nvidia to work, you also need two other packages:
apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common
apt-get install nvidia-glx
P.S. I upgraded the madwifi module because the version included with 5.01 didn't work well with my Netgear WPN511 adapter, slow connection with a lot of packet loss. An upgraded version from Debian/Unstable works well.
Similar Threads
-
By pravin in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-16-2006, 10:18 AM
-
By gr in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-06-2004, 01:26 AM
-
By myztik19 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-20-2004, 12:48 PM
-
By danboid in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-28-2004, 09:42 AM
-
By Arman in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 12
Last Post: 10-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00