-
Junior Member
registered user
Problem using cat to list files.
On my resent reload of knoppix it's taking quite some time to do simple cat commands. Like when I do this: cat /var/log/syslog |tail -60
it takes a while to actually list. I ran an updatedb. I never had this problem before even when I had 128Megs on my laptop. I'm now at 256MEGS.
So, I'm wondering what might be causing the delay and what the linux equivalent of a scandisk/defrag is. Thanks
-
Junior Member
registered user
Well, I noticed I only get the delay when issuing the tail command. Doesn't seem to happen when doing a regular cat. Anyways, you guys are going to make me search for how to do defrags/scandisk in linux huh.. Ok, it's either that our go to the responsive linux forums. I kid , I kid.. Or do I?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Which do you wish to defrag - the Knoppix Live CD or the Knoppix Live DVD?
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Assuming you have enough free HD space, the linux filesystems will usually "defrag" in the background during non I/O times and will reallocate blocks of data to make the files in the filesystem contiguous. It is only when it is running out of space that it will fragment a file into non-contiguous pieces. Thus a defrag for linux filesystems is practically unnecessary and for most linux filesystems can not actually be done.
Some starting points in investigating linux performance ... dmesg, iostat, vmstat, hdparm, bonnie, sar.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Harry, sorry I didn't make it clear that I had an HDD install. And thanks for the explaination of how the file system works for linux UnderScore. Have a good one guys.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
That was kind of my point. You have been here since at least April so you should know your way around the forums. You are complaining about a lack of response, but you didn't even post a question about a hard disk install in the hard disk install forum.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By ESC in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-11-2009, 05:13 AM
-
By floschi in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-21-2005, 06:45 AM
-
By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
-
By krix in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-29-2004, 09:39 AM
-
By jc01 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-04-2004, 08:33 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge 2950 EMS01 2U Server 6x 146GB 15K SAS PERC 5/i Dual PSU Xeon
$200.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU
$1100.00