-
x86-64?
I've been using Knoppix for quite some time now, but really only on my older, expendable machines with nothing above a Pentium III, or an Athlon XP 1400+ in my current machine. I've bought some hardware for a new machine I plan to build, but before I buy a motherboard or processor I was curious about one thing: is Knoppix and Debian Linux compatible with x86-64 architecture? Reason being was because I wanted to give an Athlon 64 X2 a shot this time, but before I spend $400 or more on a processor alone, I'd just like to know if Knoppix will run on 64-bit technology. Everything I've used until now is x86, so 64-bit CPUs are entirely new to me.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: x86-64?

Originally Posted by
The Rockologist
...but before I buy a motherboard or processor I was curious about one thing: is Knoppix and Debian Linux compatible with x86-64 architecture? ....I'd just like to know if Knoppix will run on 64-bit technology. ....
Knoppix is compatable with 64 bit arciture and the kernel has dual CPU and hyperthreading support. However, Knoppix uses the i386 Debian code, it is not optimized for 64 bit systems. And, of course, this is no promise that Knoppix will have all of the driver support for the newest motherboards (fancy 10/100/100 NICS, for example may not yet be supported).
Debian does have a 64 bit version that is optomized for 64 bit CPU and should run better on them than the I386 32 bit version, this is called the ia64 version and you should look for that version when you download or net-install Debian, although the I386 version will run on a 64 bit system. There are, of course, other versions of Debian as well, including versions for the PowerPC, ARM processors, Sparc, Alpha and more, but there is currently only an i386 version of Knoppix.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Thanks for the correction Underscore. I thought that name looked a little strange, but I wrote it down after taking a quick look at the Debian CD distro list, and I couldn't spot the AMD64 name that I expected there. Maybe just need to clean my reading glasses.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Alright then, I'll check up on which motherboards are supported by Knoppix. If all else fails I'll just go with a cheaper Sempron. O:
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001
$14.90

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$34.94

Genuine Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU5M 10GBASE-CU SFP+ DAC Copper Twinax Cable 5M 16.4ft
$10.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99