Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How to get bootsplash (or gensplash) to work in Knoppix?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    How to get bootsplash (or gensplash) to work in Knoppix?

    Hi!

    I have tried to figure out how to get fbsplash to work with Knoppix. I have compiled new 2.6.17 kernel with beyond2.1 patchset http://iphitus.loudas.com/archck.php which has fbsplash patch included. I have also read some good articles as http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_gensplash, http://delphiwww.cern.ch/~jdurand/fbsplash.html and http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermai...il/038776.html. There's also some good advices in this forum. But I have had no success

    The things I have done and the questions I still have are:
    1. kernel option to be used in compiling:
    1.a Can boot logo be compiled together with fbsplash? I think that little logo up in the left corner is not seen if using fbsplash, so it doesn't matter?
    1.b. Is it a good idea to use vesafb-tng instead of vesafb when compiling the kernel?
    1.c. What resolution to use with vedafb-tng? 1024x768@72 ?
    1.d. I have compiled the kernel with this option to enable F2 in silent mode:
    Code:
     Device Drivers > Input Device Support[*]Event Interface
    1.e. Should kernel be compiled without --initrd option? Usually I compile the kernel and extra modules:
    Code:
    # make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image
    Does this has only meaning after hd install?
    1.f. Should initramfs with bootsplash images and configs be compiled directly to the kernel? See:
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_genspla...nto_the_kernel
    2. minirt.gz must be modified:
    2.a. initramfs must be used instead of initrd
    2.b /bootsplash directory must be added inside minirt to include the theme that is used
    Should cfg file point to /etc/bootsplash/theme/used_theme/xxx.cfg or to /bootsplash images inside minirt?
    2.c. /static must include splash. Is this ftp://ftp.openbios.org/pub/bootsplas...-3.0.7.tar.bz2 the only place where to get splash.c which must be compiled with static option:
    Code:
    gcc --static splash.c -o splash
    to get that needed splash program?
    2.d. linurc
    I added this to the end of the file:
    Code:
    if [ ! -f "/proc/splash" ]; then
         unset SPLASH
    fi
    
    if test -n "$SPLASH"; then
    splash -s -u 0 /bootsplash/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg >/dev/null
    fi
    Does it matter where to place this? After /proc and /sys is mounted to get splash image seen as soon as possible?
    3. knoppix-autoconfig: I commented out splash sections.
    4.. How to get progress bar to be seen? In my hd installed version fbsplash works but no progress is seen.
    5. Does fbsplash work in Qemu?
    6. Is there some remasterd versions of Knoppix somwhere where fbsplash is applied? The best way to learn is to spy how someone else has done the job
    7. Has someone done some good bootsplash themes to be used in Knoppix? Fabian Franz seems to have some images http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/experiments/ which has been used in Knoppix sample versions bundled with magaziness. Is themes difficult to make?
    8. Should knoppix-splash and knoppix-splash-utils be removed? Where do I get progress script if I remove knoppix-splash-utils?
    9. What about boot line with nvidia or ati graphics cards? Is this okay?:
    Code:
    video=vesafb:1024x768-24,ywrap splash=silent,fadein,theme:Debian-Tux CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
    Should mtrr be added after video mode? Should quiet be added to boot line?
    10. Is anyone planning to make a wiki-howto of fbsplash to be used with Knoppix?

    I hope to get fbsplash work in 'super silent' mode so that no verbose messages is seen at all. If someone wants to see them, F2 button can be pressed at any time.

    -tapsa-

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    87

    Re: How to get bootsplash to work in Knoppix?

    I'll give my $0.02, but I hope it helps. I use the gensplash patch (gentoo splash) but some things should be similar.

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    The things I have done and the questions I still have are:
    1. kernel option to be used in compiling:
    1.a Can boot logo be compiled together with fbsplash? I think that little logo up in the left corner is not seen if using fbsplash, so it doesn't matter?
    You can't compile both together, remove "Boot Logo" from your kernel.

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    1.b. Is it a good idea to use vesafb-tng instead of vesafb when compiling the kernel?
    I still use vesa, it's simply your choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    1.c. What resolution to use with vedafb-tng? 1024x768@72 ?
    The resolution "1024x768" should be that of the image used on your splash theme. The frequency "@72" i'm not exactly sure, I do believe 72 is a safe average.

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    1.d. I have compiled the kernel with this option to enable F2 in silent mode:
    Code:
     Device Drivers > Input Device Support[*]Event Interface
    1.e. Should kernel be compiled without --initrd option? Usually I compile the kernel and extra modules:
    Code:
    # make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image
    Does this has only meaning after hd install?
    Can't help with this one, I don't use make-kpkg. I would assume fromt the next question though that you're using initRAMFS and that would negate the need for initrd.

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    1.f. Should initramfs with bootsplash images and configs be compiled directly to the kernel? See:
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_genspla...nto_the_kernel
    I would say no since you still use the minirt.gz file which is your initRAMFS file.

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    ]2. minirt.gz must be modified:
    2.a. initramfs must be used instead of initrd
    2.b /bootsplash directory must be added inside minirt to include the theme that is used
    Should cfg file point to /etc/bootsplash/theme/used_theme/xxx.cfg or to /bootsplash images inside minirt?
    2.c. /static must include splash. Is this ftp://ftp.openbios.org/pub/bootsplas...-3.0.7.tar.bz2 the only place where to get splash.c which must be compiled with static option:
    Code:
    gcc --static splash.c -o splash
    to get that needed splash program?
    2.d. linurc
    I added this to the end of the file:
    Code:
    if [ ! -f "/proc/splash" ]; then
         unset SPLASH
    fi
    
    if test -n "$SPLASH"; then
    splash -s -u 0 /bootsplash/config/bootsplash-1024x768.cfg >/dev/null
    fi
    Does it matter where to place this? After /proc and /sys is mounted to get splash image seen as soon as possible?
    3. knoppix-autoconfig: I commented out splash sections.
    4.. How to get progress bar to be seen? In my hd installed version fbsplash works but no progress is seen.
    Not sure of bootsplash's requirements

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    5. Does fbsplash work in Qemu?
    Yes it should, VMware should as well. That's how I test mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    ]6. Is there some remasterd versions of Knoppix somwhere where fbsplash is applied? The best way to learn is to spy how someone else has done the job
    The securixlive.com team have a knoppix remaster with gensplash working "Knoppix-NSM", I will have a new modular remaster "Securix" out by early August with gensplash incorporated as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    7. Has someone done some good bootsplash themes to be used in Knoppix? Fabian Franz seems to have some images http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/experiments/ which has been used in Knoppix sample versions bundled with magaziness. Is themes difficult to make?
    I don't believe themes are difficult to build, reverse engineering is the easiest way.

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    ]8. Should knoppix-splash and knoppix-splash-utils be removed? Where do I get progress script if I remove knoppix-splash-utils?
    I remove them, my progress scripts are custom made and I'm not sure of fbsplash's requirements.

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    ]9. What about boot line with nvidia or ati graphics cards? Is this okay?:
    Code:
    video=vesafb:1024x768-24,ywrap splash=silent,fadein,theme:Debian-Tux CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
    Looks ok to me, I would throw in the "quiet" option to remove the verbosity of the kernel loading

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    Should mtrr be added after video mode? Should quiet be added to boot line?
    I have quiet added, I require it for very clean silent mode.

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    10. Is anyone planning to make a wiki-howto of fbsplash to be used with Knoppix?
    Nope, I like gensplash's features at the moment and won't convert for a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    I hope to get fbsplash work in 'super silent' mode so that no verbose messages is seen at all. If someone wants to see them, F2 button can be pressed at any time.
    You will get there, and when you do, others will follow (by reading your wiki-howto) ...

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: How to get bootsplash to work in Knoppix?

    Quote Originally Posted by firnsy
    Quote Originally Posted by tr
    10. Is anyone planning to make a wiki-howto of fbsplash to be used with Knoppix?
    Nope, I like gensplash's features at the moment and won't convert for a while.
    To be honest gensplash is what I was talking about. Now I know that bootsplash is obsolete and totally different thing, and fbsplash is part of gensplash project, see http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/faq.php. So I'm starting everythng from the beginning.

    Some remarks:
    1. /etc/apt/soruces list must be modified according to instructions in http://delphiwww.cern.ch/~jdurand/fbsplash.html and package splashutils must be installed
    1. fbsplash patch must be applied when compiling the kernel
    2. themes from /etc/bootsplash/themes directory must be converted with bootsplash2fbsplash script
    3. script /etc/init.d/rc must be modified to get progress bar working
    4. new initrd image must be created with splash_geninitramfs script
    5. bootloader must be updated

    I have done these steps and got fbsplash to work in my installed Knoppix but only splash=verbose mode seems to work well.

    The question is how to modify minirt.gz file to get gensplash to work from remasterd Knoppix live-CD. I have not succeeded, yet.

    -tapsa-

Similar Threads

  1. Bootsplash in Live CD
    By Linuxgamer in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-16-2006, 11:48 AM
  2. Confuse to adding Knoppix bootsplash to live cd..
    By RedBrain in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-24-2006, 07:21 PM
  3. BootSplash Screen
    By usha panwar in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 07:32 PM
  4. edit boot.msg or use bootsplash?
    By mithereal in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 03:12 AM
  5. Bootsplash in knoppix ??
    By Masza in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 11:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro SuperServer 1029U-TN10RT 1U Rack Dual Xeon 2.70GHz 256GB picture

Supermicro SuperServer 1029U-TN10RT 1U Rack Dual Xeon 2.70GHz 256GB

$500.00



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



Supermicro X10DRS-4U-NS021, 2x E5-2603 V3 Storage Controller No RAM picture

Supermicro X10DRS-4U-NS021, 2x E5-2603 V3 Storage Controller No RAM

$200.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro E200-8D Xeon D-1528 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 2x10GbE X10SDV-6C-TLN4F w/ PSU picture

Supermicro E200-8D Xeon D-1528 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 2x10GbE X10SDV-6C-TLN4F w/ PSU

$525.00