-
black screen boot problem
My Knoppix fails to boot in a very frustrating way:
1. disc in CD drive, turn on PC
2. screen says Knoppix 3.6 04-8-16
3. new screen,
penguin in upper-left corner,
then a screen or so of boot messages,
4. then a flash then Black Screen.............
5. Now here is the odd part: when I press the power button to turn the PC back OFF, I see a Knoppix screen for a half-second before the power goes down - whassup with that???
I was given a bare-bones PC without a hard drive, so I got a new Hitachi drive and have been trying to any kind of Linux to run ever since.
I think my fatal mistake was to format the drive as FAT using the Hitachi disc, so Linux has trouble writing to it. I had a copy of SUSE Linux that failed, so my buddy suggesting booting from Knoppix to get going, but that hasn't worked for me either as described above.
I tried expert mode, but I don't know what 'expert' things to try. Any suggestions?
thanks for any help
Similar Threads
-
By adr11iano in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-25-2008, 11:12 PM
-
By Aspra in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-30-2006, 11:57 PM
-
By RDReavis in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-04-2005, 09:12 PM
-
By Veclord in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 01:13 AM
-
By Sigmatador in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)
$69.95

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880
$7.00

TDL “the ZPU” rev 1 February 1977 s100 cpu board
$345.00

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)
$34.99

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00