-
Knoppix 5.0.1 USB mouse non-functional...
Just yesterday I picked up a copy of Knoppix 5.0.1 to upgrade from my old version 4. This morning I burned the ISO image to CD and booted up from it, but I have no mouse functionality on my Logitech MX 1000 Laser USB wireless mouse. Knoppix 4 has never had any trouble with finding and properly configuring this mouse. Windows, and SuSE 9.3 pro have never had any problems with this mouse. So why is it that all of a sudden, a NEW version of Knoppix seems to have WORSE hardware detection rather than better?
When I boot to Knoppix, everything seems to go smoothly. But when X and KDE start up, I have a mouse cursor, but it doesn't move at all, it is simply stuck in the middle of the screen. Despite the fact that this is a usb mouse and not a ps/2 mouse, I tried the pci=irqmask=0x0e98 boot parameter trick, to no avail. I booted to run-level 2 (text-only mode) and ran lspci and it does show my usb controllers as being present and configured, and it seems to be reporting them correctly. I ran lsusb and reports NOTHING AT ALL, it simply gives me back my command prompt. During the boot proccess, it says "USB Found, managed by udev. Firewire Found, managed by udev." Then it starts udev hot-plug hardware detection, which gives me three dots ("...") for a good long while, the says "Started" in blue, but does not say "Done" in green or similar as other things do during the boot process (this may be normal, I don't know).
All of this may be totally irrelevant anyway... I only use Knoppix as a system rescue and drive setup utility. I want something with partimage included, and I know Knoppix used to have partimage packaged with it, but I haven't been able to find it on version 4 and I don't know if it is included or not in this version. Everything else I use Knoppix for I have with version 4 which does find my mouse without trouble, so if 4 has partimage, or if neither 4 nor 5 has it, then I don't really need 5 so I'm not terribly concerned.
So here's my deal then... Does Knoppix 4 have partimage included with it? If so, how do I access it and use it? If not, does Knoppix 5 have it? If so, how can I get my mouse to work, and how can I access and use partimage? If not, then I'll pick up SystemRecueCD from www.sysresccd.org
Thanks for any info/help,
Drake
-
I noticed that version 4 uses "hotplug" to manage usb and firewire devices and connections, rather than "udev"... Is there a way to force Knoppix 5 to use hotplug instead of udev, since hotplug worked with my mouse and udev seems not to?
Drake
-

Originally Posted by
Drake1132
I noticed that version 4 uses "hotplug" to manage usb and firewire devices and connections, rather than "udev"... Is there a way to force Knoppix 5 to use hotplug instead of udev, since hotplug worked with my mouse and udev seems not to?
Drake
Yah, I have the same problem with 5. udev doesn't correctly detect my usb mouse. (RazerPro 1.6) Hotplug from the previous versions worked fine. udev also takes a crazy long time to load.
I'm on knoppix-4 right now, and typed in "partimage" from the console and it loaded up just fine.
-
I am afraid the problem in not only with USB mouse.
Just tried Knoppix 5 live CD, and my PS/2 mouse doesn't move the cursor at all.
Never seen this with previous Knoppix releases, or any linux distrib.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
!! EDIT !! PS/2 mouse problem solved;
Some boot options of previous Knoppix releases not compatible anymore with Knoppix 5.0.
Similar Threads
-
By techrush in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-18-2010, 04:22 AM
-
By Capt. Cautious in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-13-2005, 06:47 PM
-
By roadrash in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 16
Last Post: 06-13-2005, 12:31 PM
-
By wg in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-02-2003, 02:56 AM
-
By clfest in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-30-2003, 01:59 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS
$15.00

Colorado Jumbo 250 Internal Tape Backup System Complete Set Mainframe Collection
$129.99

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$236.55

Vintage MSI K7T Turbo w/ AMD Athlon A1000AMT3C 256MB DDR Ram -Bloated Caps Parts
$69.99