Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Cannot Boot

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1

    Cannot Boot

    Hello all,
    I'm trying to boot the latest CD version (5.0.1) on my T43 Thinkpad. I'm not extremely experienced with Linux-- I was hoping to use Knoppix so that I could gain more experience without having to dual-boot. When trying to boot, I get a couple screens of buffer errors and then finally:

    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,3)

    What should I do? I did some searching but couldn't find any working solutions.

    Thanks,
    Kurt

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    The answer may come in the form of a cheatcode. I wouild start with something like "knoppix nodma", "knoppix dma", failsafe, noacpi, etc. Look through the "Documentation" link at the top of the page and scroll down for "cheat codes". Read through it and you may fine the answer there. The other issue may be in the way the ISO file was downloaded and burned to CD. Read through the Downloading FAQ's here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1

    My apologies for reviving an old thread...

    ... just thought this might help someone.

    I tried the CD version of 5.0.1 in order to upgrade a harddrive and 'dd' the contents from one drive to the next. When I tried to boot into Knoppix though, I encountered the same error that dirtk38 posted. I tried most of the cheatcodes, but could only get a *very* stripped setup to run. I finally got it running by downgrading to 4.0.2 which turned out to work fully on my machine. Who knows, maybe it was a corrupt 5.0.1 ISO?

    Here are the specs for the machine that had a hard time with 5.0.1:
    AMD Athlon 2700+
    ASUS A7V333-X MOBO
    512MB RAM
    Two harddrives: 80GB and 20GB
    GeForce FX5200 128MB
    Two NICs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage IBM #192726 Paper Tape Punch Mainframe Computer Programming Tool 1960s picture

Vintage IBM #192726 Paper Tape Punch Mainframe Computer Programming Tool 1960s

$81.39



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93



Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX picture

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX

$89.95



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00