-
Junior Member
registered user
Idiot question, can Knoppix 5.0.1 be installed on PC??
I've got a Knoppix5.0.1 live Linux-on CD disc n I've been exploring it ever since ,but can I install Knoppix 5.0.1 from this disc or do I have to download an installation one from the official website ?
Any help are more than greatly appriciated
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
It's not exactly an idiot question. There are two very conflicting schools of thought on it. You deinately don't have to download "something else" if you are dead set on installing Knoppix, what you have on the CD or DVD is what you "install". But there are many of us who believe that installing it is a mistake. See my stock answer #2 for details. And in your case I would think there is even more reason to avoid a Knoppix install and go witha Linux that is really intended for hard disk, since you have already noted the problems with Knoppix and your native language, but Debian, the Linux release that Knoppix is based on, has support for it. I'm not qualified to evaluate the quality of the support for your language, but from whaT I've seen of the rest of Debian I would expect it would be pretty good (which is not a promise that all applications that you might want to download would also support the language, but at least some will). Since Knoppix is built from Debian you could install debian and then install any of the applications that you want that are in Knoppix from the Dabian package system. I Would suggest that you start here, use the link near the top right to find a local server, and consider a net-install of Debian.
-
Re: Idiot question, can Knoppix 5.0.1 be installed on PC??

Originally Posted by
MichaelYoung
I've got a Knoppix5.0.1 live Linux-on CD disc n I've been exploring it ever since ,but can I install Knoppix 5.0.1 from this disc or do I have to download an installation one from the official website ?
Any help are more than greatly appriciated
I'm with Harry. If you want an install distro, install Kubuntu. Super Sweet.
-
Re: Idiot question, can Knoppix 5.0.1 be installed on PC??

Originally Posted by
Vorian

Originally Posted by
MichaelYoung
I've got a Knoppix5.0.1 live Linux-on CD disc n I've been exploring it ever since ,but can I install Knoppix 5.0.1 from this disc or do I have to download an installation one from the official website ?
Any help are more than greatly appriciated
I'm with Harry. If you want an install distro, install Kubuntu. Super Sweet.
Go PClinux OS, the best new user distro there is today. (KDE as well).
-
Junior Member
registered user
To Rich Es
Sorry , but can u explain the PClinux OS in detail, I have no idea what it is , sorry about my ignorance .
Thanx
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: To Rich Es

Originally Posted by
MichaelYoung
Sorry , but can u explain the PClinux OS in detail, I have no idea what it is , sorry about my ignorance .
Thanx
There are many many versions (or Distros) of Linux, almost as many as there are religions. Unfortunately, many people who select one come to believe that their choice is the only right one, just like with religion. Rather than take such advice you might want to look into the different distros and see what they offer. On good place to start would be Distrowatch, in the right hand column you can find links to many different distros that should help you determine what is right for you. Some distros might be great for some people, but awful for others, if it doesn't support their native language for example. I have mentioned installing Debian to you more than once. Not because I think it's the best Linux distro, but because if you want Knoppix installed you can get the good but not the bad by installing Debian etch, Knoppix is based on Debian. And it supports your native language. PCLinuxOS is English only. If you install another distro that seems right for you, that's great, just make an informed choice.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Great thanx to Harry
I know u must be tired of hearing thanx from hundreds of people whom u offer help, but I am really greatful 4 u. Thanx a million again.
Similar Threads
-
By param85047 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
-
By dpatchen in forum Laptops
Replies: 7
Last Post: 06-13-2006, 08:39 PM
-
By BubbaCola in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-15-2004, 09:40 AM
-
By shaneblyth in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-02-2004, 07:00 PM
-
By JetCowBoB in forum Ideas
Replies: 8
Last Post: 07-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10-2415-03 10 GigE SFP Transceiver Module
$5.00

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99

SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code
$108.09