Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Knoppix 3.2 KDE knx-hdinstall problem

  1. #1

    Knoppix 3.2 KDE knx-hdinstall problem

    When I run knx-hdinstall either in either command line only or from within kde I get a message about a file called something test29.gz

    Not sure exactly what it says as its in German.

    Die von skript benotige datei

    /usr/local/lib/knx-templates-0.29test.tgz wurde
    nicht gefunden oder is beschadigt. Das skript wird beendet

    Or something like that.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    It's telling you that the script can not find the templates file. Try downloading the knx-hdinstall from here . I usually use just the knx-install-0.38 one. When you go to download it open it with ark and extract it to your /ramdisk/home/knoppix then open a console window and then sudo ./knx-hdinstall to use the script in your ramdisk.
    note: when you extract make sure the all files is selected.

  3. #3
    Cheers chief.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Brisbane in always sunny Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    18

    Please idiofy your solution to this problem...

    I am a complete Linux newbie. At the expense of sounding completely stupid, I don't entirely follow what I am to do to get past the file missing in my Knoppix KDE 3.1 distribution I bought on CD.

    I don't even understand how to get the file downloaded from my windows machine onto the linux one... This "Ramdisk" is a sort of area of the drive that I can execute things in? I have looked over the net for answers but I am just simply not understanding it.

    Please, be patient with me as this is certainly not my area of expertise. My basic goal is to have a very close to Windows version of Linux that I can use for accounting and office applications to save myself the cost of paying for over priced Microsoft alternatives. I really like Knoppix KDE as I can navigate very comfortably in it but I don't want to run it off the CD every time.

    Cheers, and thanks heaps for reading this post.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Please idiofy your solution to this problem...

    Quote Originally Posted by thegroover
    I don't even understand how to get the file downloaded from my windows machine onto the linux one... This "Ramdisk" is a sort of area of the drive that I can execute things in? I have looked over the net for answers but I am just simply not understanding it.
    To get the file you have downloaded from your windows partition to the running CD you will have to mount (make available for use) the windows partition. Here I will assume your windows is installed on the first partition on the first HD (drive C: ) and this is where the file is stored. eg:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    This would be done in a console window (click on the clam shell icon on the taskbar). Now that the partitions is available you would while still in the console:
    Code:
    sudo cp /mnt/hda1/path_to_file /ramdisk/home/knoppix/
    which copies the file to the ramdisk now you will have to extract the contents of the archive with either ark which is in the utilities menu or with this command.
    Code:
    sudo tar -xvzf knx-hdinstall-0.38.tgz .
    which extracts the file to the current directory (which unless you changed directories when you opened the console will be /ramdisk/home/knoppix to check pwd in the console and it will print the working directory) then to install:
    Code:
    sudo ./knx-hdinstall
    this starts the install with the file you just extracted.

    note: the install will fail unless you have already created two additional partitions on either your first (drive C: ) or another HD for a /swap and / partitions the /swap must be at least 128mb and the / at least 2.2gb or you can create the partitions with the cfdisk tool which will be run during the install but it is best to have created them first with a tool like Partition Magic from Powerquest and just quit from the cfdisk program making no changes and continue with the install using the already created partitions it will save a re-start of the computer for the changes to the HD to be recognized if you have a buggy IDE chipset.

    additional note: Partition Magic is a commercial product and as such you will have to purchase a copy there is however an alternative you may want to try the latest version (2003-06-06) of regular Knoppix as it has QTParted which is similar in function to Partition Magic and completely free this would have the additional benifit of having the latest version of the software included and would save the multi-hundred MB download that it will take to upgrade the older versions included with KnoppixKDE.

    Please, be patient with me as this is certainly not my area of expertise. My basic goal is to have a very close to Windows version of Linux that I can use for accounting and office applications to save myself the cost of paying for over priced Microsoft alternatives. I really like Knoppix KDE as I can navigate very comfortably in it but I don't want to run it off the CD every time.

    Cheers, and thanks heaps for reading this post.
    Were here to help ( it's all part of the plan global domination one user at a time ) your goal is definetely attainable it will however require some time and effort and asking a lot of questions I would suggest that you get in contact with humbug which is your local Linux (unix) users group.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Note, you should get the latest version of Knoppix and not use Knoppix KDE anymore as it has been surpased by Knoppix 3.2

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Brisbane in always sunny Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    18

    Thank you very much

    Stephen, your explanation was nothing short of exactly what I needed to know. I should've probably mentioned that I had Windows installed on another computer other than the one I was installing Linux to. That problem was solved with the use of those black 3.5" things that my forefathers used to use.

    Mate this is a good forum and I can tell you've been here for a while. Thanks for your courteous treatment and I hope one day I can return the favour.

    In regards to the updated version of Knoppix, the only thing that would be an advantage to me at this point would be a more lean version with just Office and Internet tools. But I can't really make a speed judgement until I have really tweaked and understood this operating system.

    I used to use an old Atari ST diligently for music creation. I am comforted to see certain simularities to the Atari interface, blended carefully with Windows and Mac elements aswell. Overall, I feel that despite my no sleep tonight (at all... 28hours going strong.. sorta strong..) I have started on something new and exciting.

    Linux is 'cool'... well, as cool as an operating system gets. OSX is good too, but Linux seems more personal, and more Atari.

    Cheers!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Thank you very much

    Quote Originally Posted by thegroover
    Stephen, your explanation was nothing short of exactly what I needed to know. I should've probably mentioned that I had Windows installed on another computer other than the one I was installing Linux to. That problem was solved with the use of those black 3.5" things that my forefathers used to use.

    Mate this is a good forum and I can tell you've been here for a while. Thanks for your courteous treatment and I hope one day I can return the favour.
    Your welcome good to hear you got it going I probably should have clued in to the second machine in your first post but a lot of people refer to their linux partition as another machine and yeah I've been around a while, long enough that my forefathers used them 8" thingies that actually would flop around hence the term floppy disk.
    In regards to the updated version of Knoppix, the only thing that would be an advantage to me at this point would be a more lean version with just Office and Internet tools. But I can't really make a speed judgement until I have really tweaked and understood this operating system.
    Good idea get the lay of the land so to speak and move on from there after you get a better handle on how things work. Aside from HUMBUG which I mentioned above a good place for information is always Google for Linux any error you get you should put in the search field and you will more than likely get many, many links to some similar situation someone has already encountered. Also a couple of more links APT HOWTO for using the package manager APT, The Linux Documentation Project, Linux Questions another site dedicated to linux of all flavours and last but not least Debian the Debian website.


    I used to use an old Atari ST diligently for music creation. I am comforted to see certain simularities to the Atari interface, blended carefully with Windows and Mac elements aswell. Overall, I feel that despite my no sleep tonight (at all... 28hours going strong.. sorta strong..) I have started on something new and exciting.

    Linux is 'cool'... well, as cool as an operating system gets. OSX is good too, but Linux seems more personal, and more Atari.

    Cheers!
    Yeah I kinda like it too there's all kinds of people just trying to get the problems with other OS's bad behavior solved and have a safe, secure, and stable computing environment and aside from the time and effort it can all be for free and that's always the best price.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.1 HDinstall problem
    By madserb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-26-2004, 12:59 AM
  2. hdinstall problem
    By ofb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 12:20 AM
  3. HDInstall using loadlin problem when starting X11 GUI
    By JechiD in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 03:46 PM
  4. password problem(keyboard?) in knx-hdinstall
    By gill1109 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 07:23 PM
  5. Resizing FAT 32 with Qtparted - hdinstall problem
    By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 01:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$369.59



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack picture

Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack

$88.90



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55