-
Junior Member
registered user
After logout system freezes
Using Knoppix 3.2 hdinstall, quite new sub version.
Problem:
After pressing log out button, the X is shut down (*I think*) and then monitor falls asleep, this happens quite quickly, around 20 sec I think. Then, it doesn't listen to any commands, such as mouse movement, or keyboard, I tryed CTRL+ALT+DEL, CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE.
Additional information:
CPU: AMD AthlonXP 1700+, RAM: 256mb DDR, SWAP: 517mb, LINUX PART - EXT3 - around 6GB, VID: ATI Radeon 7500.
Using KDE 3.1, with a custom theme.
This seems to be happening every time I try it. And the only way out of this is pressing the Reboot button on computer.
Possible idea about what is causing it:
Since, in Knoppix, when the X is closed, the computer will be shut down. Now, I think this might be a bug, that the hdinstall, will possibly try to do this also, but well it will not succeed.
Anyway, well, Knoppix was a wonderful solution to install Debian
And it is also a great rescure disk. Good work!
And, ugh, since I am not farmiliar with all this stuff, then is it possible to run 2 desktop enviorments at the same time. when KDE is up and running, would it be possible to start FluxBox in another thread. I tryed pressing CTRL+ALT+F6, then logging in, and then "startx", but it gave me an error.
-
You've got a Radeon card. This is a problem with XFree86 that whenever you use DRI, you won't be able to shutdown. That is why on in the Ideas section of this forum, I've asked to have the very latest version of XFree86 (4.3.99) included as it includes a patch that fixes this very problem.
For now, the only way to do things would be to disable DRI. Comment the line load "dri" in your XF86Config-4 file.
-
Junior Member
registered user
thank you for your fast reply Viro (what in Finnish means Estonia
)
well, since this is a Debian distro, and has this very convinient function apt-get, can't I just do this:
apt-get upgrade xfree86
???
I wouldn't like to install Knoppix again tho.
-
If they had a package for XFree86 4.3.99, sure. But at the moment, this doesn't exist. So you'll have to compile from source (
). that's why I'm now using an nVidia card.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I don't think I can afford buying another card at the moment, I would rather buy alot of CD-R's now :P
Compiling XFree86 from the source. I know this can be hard, but how hard?
-
Junior Member
registered user
okay, I have now found out that it is a (timewaste)^23 :P
altho, well, what would do commenting the dri line? would it make my kde different or something?
I am still kinda linux n00b so I don't know much
-
Just add a # to the beginning of the line which says load "dri".
What this does is prevent the DRI module from being loaded, and so you won't use DRI at all. You'll only use DRI if you're running 3D applications that make use of Open GL.
-
Junior Member
registered user
heh, I feared that in the bottom of my heart, that's why I asked :P
I mean, well, games :P TuxRacer :P *me thinks it uses opengl*
I know about commenting, I have done programming a little so I know it :P
-
Yes, tuxracer makes use of OpenGL and if you have the dri modules loaded, they will be used. Last time, when I played tuxracer with my Radeon 9000 and tried logging out afterwards, not only did my computer hang, it corrupted files on my reiserfs file system too!
.
So you better comment out dri, or make sure you don't use any 3D stuff that might inadverdently make use of dri.
-
Junior Member
registered user
damn then,,,, I have ext3, and it's pretty okay atm, altho, I hope my C (NTFS) and D,E(FAT32) will not corrupt because of this.
and the only way of updating XFree86 would be with the next Knoppix install what would also destroy all data on ext3 and modifications I have made for KDE now?
Similar Threads
-
By chain in forum General Support
Replies: 26
Last Post: 07-11-2004, 03:16 AM
-
By heathenx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-18-2003, 01:11 PM
-
By mihael.kukec in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-04-2003, 11:01 PM
-
By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-27-2003, 07:21 PM
-
By viet in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 12
Last Post: 03-26-2003, 06:42 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI
$195.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

PfSense/OPNsense 14x1Gb, 8-Core, 8GB RAM, 80GB SSD, AES-NI, QAT (Lanner FW-7573)
$149.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$199.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU
$99.99

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99

Unfi Security Gateway Pro
$170.00