Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: linksys wusb54gs

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1

    linksys wusb54gs

    anyone know how i can get the Linksys Wireless-G usb adapter (WUSB54GS) to work with Knoppix? Please any help would be appreciated.

    Email address removed by moderator to prevent spam harvesters. You will be notified by email to the address in your profile when and if there is a response.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    I have the WPC54g pcmcia card, but give the following commands a shot

    1) Download the Windows drivers for the card from Linksys website (and extract them to a folder), or use the CD that came with the card.

    2) Navigate to the folder that contains the drivers you've extracted (you can navigate using a Terminal Window, but the easiest way I think is to use Konqueror to browse to the folder, then chools Tools, Terminal.

    The driver file usually ends with ".inf" (in my case it's LSTINDS.INF)

    3) at the commmand prompt, do
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -i LSTINDS.INF
    ( I've seen a lot of posts where users say to use the "lsbcmnds.inf" file, but that didn't work for me.

    4) Load ndiswrapper module:
    Code:
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    You can then enter "ndiswrapper -l" to see if the your card has been detected. (And, by this time, the power light on the card should be lit)

    You can also try entering "iwconfig" to see the interface where the card is present (probably will show up as the interface for "wlan0" )

    5) Since mine shows up on the wlan0 interface, my next command is
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 essid MYESSID; pump -i wlan0
    Above, replace "wlan0" with whatever interface your wireless adapter is detected on, and also substiute your network's SSID in place of "Myessid":

    When I'm away from home, I use Kwifi ( found under Kmenu / Knoppix / Network / Kwifi Manager ), to scan for available networks, then I enter the command above, but replace "MYESSID" with the essid's shown in Kwifi.

    There are other arguments that you will need to enter with the last "iwconfig" command if your network is set up with encryption, but I have kept things very simple at home by just running my wireless network open, but with MAC address filtering so that my laptop's MAC is the only thing allowed to connect.

    Also, instead of Kwifi, you can scan for networks from the terminal with

    Code:
    iwlist wlan0 scan
    (don't forget to replace "wlan0" with your interface - .ie. eth0, etc)

    ---- following are some commands that help me with other distros, but I don't know if they'll work with Knoppix ---

    I've run into some distros where I can't use the "pump" command (see step 5 above), so I have to do the following to get an IP address from my router:

    Code:
    dhcpcd -t 10 wlan0
    or if you know the internal IP address of the router/gateway, do

    Code:
    dhcpcd -G 192.168.1.1 wlan0
    replace "192.168.1.1" with your router's internal address.

    (don't forget to replace "wlan0" with your interface - .ie. eth0, etc)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3
    MrE just helped me get a WUSB54g working using 'ndiswrapper'.

    My configuration worked using the 'eth0' interface instead of 'wlan0' but the bottomline is it is finally working!

    I aim to write my experiences up on this before I forget the steps - - hopefully it will save someone else some time and frustration.

    Thanks again MrE!

    Jim

  4. #4
    Hi

    im having a few probs with ndiswrapper

    ok first i have a linksys wusb11v4 usb network adapter

    i got the linksys CD and in a file called drivers i found the following files

    LSPMUSB.inf
    M4301A.sys
    NETUSBXP.SYS
    VNETUSBA.SYS
    m4301a.cat
    vnet581.sys
    vnetusbl.sys
    LSPMUSB.inf
    NETUSB.SYS
    PRISM9x.SYS
    mdusb.out
    vnet581x.sys
    vnetusbxp.sys
    LSPMUSB.sys
    NETUSB.inf
    PRISMXP.SYS
    WUSB11v4.inf
    netrfm2k.cat
    vnetu9x1.sys

    i no i need to install the .inf files using ndiswrapper

    i did this for LSPMUSB.inf and NETUSB.inf and tried for WUSB11v4 but got a error saying

    "Installing wusb11v4
    Parse error in inf. Unable to find section @mdusb.out"

    Plz help

    chris

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    3

    wusb54gs hardware present yet still not working?!?

    Hi, I too have an issue loading drivers for WUSB54GS on Knoppix 5. I tried several things, but only one approach loaded drivers. Here's the link to description on Ndiswrapper wiki item 27 and 28 under letter L:http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...dex.php/List#L
    Although my driver is loaded and hardware present, i still get a FATAL error when I try to modprobe ndiswrapper. The error looks like this: FATAL error lib/<kernel>/misc/ndiswrapper.ko: invalid argument. According to this site: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=225206 that means that my driver didn't load, but why does it say it loaded if i do ndiswrapper -l command? I suppose I should try different .sys files? What about those .cat files, are they important?
    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. LinkSys WirelessG
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 07:01 PM
  2. Linksys WUSB11 v2.6.....again...sorry
    By Duncanla in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 02:25 AM
  3. Yet another linksys problem
    By spartn119 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 08:09 PM
  4. Linksys 11wcp v.3
    By lnetubaplyr in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 04:02 PM
  5. linksys lancard
    By dox in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD  Module  10-2945-02  NEW CLAMSHELL picture

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL

$45.50



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10-2457-02 SFP 10GBASE Transceiver x3 Tested Clean picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10-2457-02 SFP 10GBASE Transceiver x3 Tested Clean

$40.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99